• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to target shoot my rifle?

I am completely new to guns, and just bought a Remington 597 .22 (yes here-kitty-kitty I know you know all about this!). I am in the Mankato area and I just want to go out somewhere and set up some pop cans or targets anywhere from 25-100+ yards away and let loose as many rounds as I can.

I do not have any type of safety certificate, but my buddy does and has hunting experience so I have/will learn from him. I am in the Mankato area and don't really know where to begin to look. I have heard shooting ranges are usually only for pistols, but don't know if this is true and also not sure if they require a safety certificate.

Could I find a local WMA and pop on some blaze orange and just go unload 100 or more rounds at some targets without having to worry about anything at any time of the year?

Sorry for the noob questions, as I really have no clue where to begin to look. Also note that I am over 18, but not even sure if there is an age requirement for certain things or not.

drive up to Le Suere and head to Caribou hunt and gun club. 10 bucks to shoot all you care to shoot....not sure about pop cans but they might let you shoot clay pigeons, get the mini clays if you can, smaller target. but I do not think random shooting is allowed at WMA's. I know people do it, but I do not think it is legal.

WHAT I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT LOL. Ya you can bring targets there. I really have no clue where to go target shoot thats not a range or a buddies back yard in the country. Watch going to any WMA's they normally have restrictions on target shooting there. You should be able to find all that info on www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting. There it should tell you if you can or cannot target shoot.

I will look into that and the Le Suere range. My girlfriends uncle is coming up here and he is a police officer and plans to bring his collection so we can go out and shoot some targets. He has a few pistols, one of which is a glock .45 and a tactical mossberg shotgun that he wants to shoot and I need to sight in my upgraded scope on my 597.

But why do you say Bradshaw WMA? Isn't plinking/target shooting not allowed on any WMA?

No indiscriminate shooting is allowed in WMA's. That means target shooting, plinking or just screwing around. To help with that they do list all shooting ranges in the state.

Caribou is a good one. I thought there was a club in Nicollet, but I could be wrong. Check it out.

Yes you could get into trouble.

If you decide to go to Caribou, call ahead and set a time. I know they're shooting birds out there, or atleast scratch bird hunters are still shooting. The rifle range at Caribou is surrounded by fields used by bird hunters.

Yes I went out today and shot 70 rounds off and got my scope pretty close to dialed in. I will be paying a membership at either the place in Madison Lake or a place in Mankato so I can use a rifle range whenever I please, because .22 ammo is so freaking cheap so I can shoot as much as I want.

Shot at 25, 50, and 100 yards today at some 8" shoot-n-see targets but it was very windy so not much going on at 100 yards. I need a bipod bad.

couple of different routes you can go. You can get the caldwell shooting bags, filled 2 bag set is about 30 bucks, the unfilled are like 20 bucks. Get the filled ones....I use my shooting bags for all of my target shooting, from my 17 hmr to my 12 ga slug gun.