Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunning

Crankbait?

23 posts in this topic

Crankbait is not my favorite way to fish. It doesn't seem to fit into what I like to do on the lakes down here. If anyone has fished Lake Washington with the weed/moss problem will know what I mean. You just can't fish them shallower than 10ft because the weeds are so thick and we have this moss that will completely engulf the bait if it runs through it.

I'm going to force myself to throw more crankbaits this year out on the outside weed lines. But I will still do a lot of picking of weeds off the crankbaits. It got me thinking I can honestly say I think have never caught a single fish in my life that had a weed hanging off one of the hooks or the bill of a crankbait. Do you guys every once an awhile catch a fish with junk hanging off your lure?

I personally have never caught a bass on a crankbait that has fowled up in the weeds. The only way there is weeds on my crankbait after I catch a bass is if the fish took me in the stuff when it was fighting.

there's bias involved with that assumption. If you had a weed on your lure, and didn't see the strike, it is highly likely that the weed would fall off during the fight.

But on the other hand, how many times have you ever caught a bass when any type of lure is fouled by weeds?

The most effective way for me to catch fish on a lipless crank is to get it caught in the weeds and them rip it off. A medium heavy rod is required. Some people claim that they lose fish with a medium heavy rod, but I don't seem to lose too many. You need to get them to bite first, and snapping with a med/lite rod just doesn't work.

there's bias involved with that assumption. If you had a weed on your lure, and didn't see the strike, it is highly likely that the weed would fall off during the fight.

But on the other hand, how many times have you ever caught a bass when any type of lure is fouled by weeds?

That is kind of what I was thinking. Maybe I have caught fish before with a little bit of weeds on the hook but the weeds fall off. I have caught fish before ripping rattle traps through the weeds but they always never had any weeds on the hook. I guess I was hoping for someone to say "hell yea I catch fish all the time with a little salad on the hook" might help the confidence a little to throw crankbaits on the home lake.

Originally Posted By: goblueM

That is kind of what I was thinking. Maybe I have caught fish before with a little bit of weeds on the hook but the weeds fall off. I have caught fish before ripping rattle traps through the weeds but they always never had any weeds on the hook. I guess I was hoping for someone to say "hell yea I catch fish all the time with a little salad on the hook" might help the confidence a little to throw crankbaits on the home lake.

Good points. I must say it is possible, but if there were weeds on there at the strike, it wasn't very many. The smallest amount of weeds on a crankbait, and you can feel it isn't running right.

The most effective way for me to catch fish on a lipless crank is to get it caught in the weeds and them rip it off. A medium heavy rod is required. Some people claim that they lose fish with a medium heavy rod, but I don't seem to lose too many. You need to get them to bite first, and snapping with a med/lite rod just doesn't work.

I love ripping traps and other lipless cranks in cabage weeds. For that I use a medium heavy rod. For other crankbaiting I use a medium.

i have to say ive picked up a couple when you fell the weeds there and you loose your action. ive had the fish hit when im trying to rip the crank away from the weeds that im drgging along. but it sure dosnt seem to happen very often.

I fish cranks quite a bit and if theres a weed hanging on it you can tell its not swimming right. Having said that I fish around weeds and get reaction strikes from ripping them out. I have been on a school and on every cast when the crank got hung up just gave it a rip and fish on! Just have to stay on the out side edge of the thick stuff. Tons of fun!

If the water is clear enough to see the tops of the weeds what I'll often do is more of a flipping or pitching to areas a short distance away where I can see a clear retrieve path back to the boat. It takes a little practice and sometimes a bit of running up and down the boat to steer them but it can be effective at times.

Ahhhh Crankbaits.. in my opinion, by far, the most expensive part of bass fishing. Not even close to anything else. To be set up well, the cost is crazy.. there are just sooOOOOO000000OOOoooo many different kinds/wobbles/colors/styles/sizes. That you feel you have to have em all. I WILL not count all that I own.. would make me sick. and then again, I just got 20 more off of [YouNeedAuthorization] on saturday.. Ugggg. But I'm sure I have more than I need.

The thing is, when you find the right one on the right day in the right place.. It is the single most effective way to fish. You can really load the boat.

I rarely catch fish on crankbaits other than lipless. Reason being I think im afraid to throw them where the fish are i.e. nears places where I think I am going to lose them. With that being said I think im going to bring only crank baits along on the boat a couple days this summer and force myself to use them

Thats a very good plan Craigums.. ITs how I learned most of my fishing. For one whole summer, I would only bring one rod and force myself to try and catch fish on that technique..

My suggesting for you. Find a day that has a bit of a breeze, IE 10MPH or so... those seem to be my better cranking days. Fishing the wind blown side of the lake.

I have used cranks a lot more in the last couple years then I ever have. For me its all about the confidence. This year I plan on going deeper than in the past. I am a huge fan of DT10's and have been upgrading the 15'+ crankbait box this offseason. The key is to practice with them and even though they have action on their own and most people think they don't need as much practice. In my experience it was the hardest thing for me to learn and I still have a LONG ways to go.

I have used cranks a lot more in the last couple years then I ever have. For me its all about the confidence.

I think you nailed it right there, My problem is people always talk about touching the bottom or touching the top of weeds or bumping into logs with their cranks but When I try to do that I foul the lure every time.

Just keep at it craigums, you are right though, you have to be hitting stuff. Just pay attention throughout your retrieve and it will make it a lot easier to work the crank right.

You also need to know within about 6" how deep your cranks go, with what line you are throwing. Just reading the package that says 10-14 feet doesn't cut it.

I never belived in Cranks til lastyear. I came in with my biggest bag to date and biggest bass. (ever weighed) I just wish them DT's weren't so darn expensive! Now I'm a believer and my goal this year is to master the crankbait!

Last year was the first year that I specifically said I would go out and catch fish on cranks and work that to the bone. I think you could say I got pretty good at using them. Find an outside weedline or deep rock pile and work it hard. I can go out now and catch fish on cranks pretty much whenever I want to. Find a depth that is holding fish, match your crank, and just do it.

I have three plano 3700 boxes right now stuffed full of cranks. I have 3 or 4 in every compartment I have set up in there, could easily fill another and feel less cramped. Yet every time I walk by the crank bait isle, I wander through and want to buy more and more of them.

just a bit of advice to those starting out... I thin kthe biggest problem people have with crankbaits is that once they tie them on, they just start fan casting.. Think of a crankbait the same as you would any other rig.. You care making accurate casts to areas, but even more so, because you have to cast past your target to allow the bait to dive to its max depth and into the strike zone.

I personally dont know what i would do with out a crank bait setup when i get to new lakes. I feel like there is no other way to search for fish especially on the deep weedlines

I agree, Deitz brought up a very important point in crank fishing. I have been guilty of fan casting with cranks, but usually it is to try figuring out what is under the surface. Once you know a particular piece of structure, you want to make precise casts to bump into the big rock, or run through the finger of weeds that runs out towards the basin. Hit em and rip em, many times you will find a bass on the other end of the line.