• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New "one" over rule for 2009 ??

I haven't picked up the new 2009 regs yet, but read in the paper that for 2009, you may only keep one walleye over 20" whether it's in your boat, freezer, or at the taxidermist. It takes effect on this years opener. If you have a over fish at the taxidermist - it is considered in your possesion until finished. If you have one in your freezer you may not take another until that one is consumed. SO ??

This also applies to the northern pike regs. of one over 30".

P1010062.jpg

Nice catch. It is true. Last year it was limited to one a day now it is,like you say, only one is allowed in posession. IMO this is over the line.

This is confusing to me as I fish a boarder water and the regs only 6 with 15 inch minninum no mention of the latter.

This isnt really a "new" rule this year. Both walleye and northern have been this way. For walleye it was changed a couple of years ago from one over 22 in. down to one over 20 inches in possesion and both daily and total possesion fit this. Northern was identical except that it is one over 30in allowed in possesion.

This isnt really a "new" rule this year. Both walleye and northern have been this way.

It is new because as stated, in the past it was one of 20" per day, now it is one over 20" in possesion.

I too feel this is a bit restrictive and unneeded (not to mention near impossible to enforce), at what point does a fish in taxidermy cease being a fish and start being a wall ornament?

i just have a feeling one day........ it's gonna be, if u caught it on the startboard side, the limit is 15" n if it was caught on the port side it's 16" or if it's hooked on the roof of the mouth it's 18" n the bottom it's 20".

then if u grinned once while reeling it's ...........

Some rules are put in place as a feel good measure only. Take a state wide slot limit for example. There is no scientific reason for one but a lot of people think that there should be one. Banning lead is another one. I don't know if the "one over 20" is an example of such a rule but there several such rules presented every legislative session. Some stick some don't.

Rules are there for the greater good. The question is do we call it conservation focusing on more of the utilitarian point of view and where does that stop or how far should we take it.

Or do we call it preservation trying to keep things natural and balanced.

Just something to ponder.

My feeling is, use your best judgement, do what is best for the lake at whiich you are fishing.

I'm all for common sense and for doing what you think is right. And when it comes to laws and game regulations, the right thing to do is to follow the rules, and the best thing for the lake is to follow the rules the DNR and their biologists have put in place.

Do people really need to keep a limit of 20+" walleyes? I enjoy walleye just as much as the next guy, but over 18-19 and they are going back. I prefer 14-16" fish for cooking up. I have never kept one over 19.

Last year my uncle kept a 27" walleye and filleted the thing. I asked him how it tasted, and he said "Mercury". He knew I was giving him carp, but seriously.

I guess I will just keep fishing Pool 2 and put em all back.