• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas Grills?

jltimm

Question

Are Weber gas grills worth the Money? Do they last that much longer than say an Aussie or other makes? Has anyone had one for several years without the usual burners rusting out? I'm looking for a decent grill for a decent price.

I have had my Weber Silver B gas grill for 9 years and kept it covered. I have only replaced the grates last year. I really like it and would tell anyone to buy one too. There are lots of nice grills on the market but I have no complaints at all about my Weber. It has been worth every penny of the 450 I spent on it and would easily do it again. I do use mine a lot and I think what impresses me the most is that the igniter still lights every time!

I have had battles with gas grill since I have had a place of my own. My first one was a fairly expensive kenmore, lots of stainless steel, but the burners were cast iron. They lasted about 3 years, and had to be replaced, along with some other stuff that was ruined. All told I spend 100 bones to fix it up. During the replacement I notice that the whole inside was "rotted" out. all of the hardware was shot, all of the mounting holes were enlarged. After three more years I was not going to mess with it again.

Next came a high end char-broil TEC. I was really impressed with the infrared cooking surface, until both of the TEC burners' hardware rusted out after a year. I called Char-broil and they said that they had a problem with these burners and would send me new ones under warranty. Of course they were back ordered so I had to wait 3 months to get them. They also replaced the igniter which was bad.

This put a sour taste in my mouth about char-broil.

Now I grill year round, but I keep my grills covered and under the large cantilevered roof on my deck. They should last a long time.

As for my next grill, it will definitely be a weber, I have friends that have the lower end models and have had no problem with them for many years.

You can't beat charcoal I will never buy a gas it's a experiance everytime you grill.But for those with gas grill's the worst thing you can do is put a cover on them it just let's the moisture sit inside and eat up the burners leave them uncovered and in the garage or at least under the eve's of the house this way the air can blow through them and dry out the inside.

You can't beat charcoal I will never buy a gas it's a experiance everytime you grill.But for those with gas grill's the worst thing you can do is put a cover on them it just let's the moisture sit inside and eat up the burners leave them uncovered and in the garage or at least under the eve's of the house this way the air can blow through them and dry out the inside.

How 'bout a cover with vent holes?

I have thought about leaving mine uncovered, but I am scared of leaving a 1000 dollar grill sitting out in the elements....

I have yet to hear anyone tell me that their Weber burners rusted out--they're stainless. They warranty them (burners) 10 years and if you have a problem with anything, they have great customer service, no waiting around for parts. I love my Weber Genesis. Solidly built, hardly any flare ups, even cooking and excellent temp control. Well worth the money.

I'm another satisfied Weber owner. Have both charcoal and propane with no problems. Had a Char-Broil propane that only lasted 2 years, couldn't control heat and it sucked. Swore off propane grills and went back to a Weber charcoal and then about 4 years ago bought a Weber Genesis. Very satisfied with it. Much easier to fire up the propane on weeknights and ready to cook 5 minutes later. Still use the charcoal one on weekends. Never a problem with the propane one in 4 years. By the way, Ducane, is a Weber owned brand. Seems to be their upper end grill.

As far as covers - I think it's worth the money to buy the $70 weber cover, it has a vent in it. I wouldn't leave an expensive grill uncovered.

My weber is 4 years old and has been covered with the Weber cover since new. The valves don't leak at all when I turn it off (I have it plugged into natural gas 24/7) and it always starts with one click, unless I've left the cover off AND it's rained hard, then I have to start it with a match. But it will start on one click again once it heats up. I'm assuming the ignitor is wet and just has to dry out.

I looked at the stainless Aussie today, and needless to say I was not impressed. I looked at the Weber 210 the other day at the local hardware store, and it seemed like a well built unit.

Happy weber owner here. Married in 2001 and received it for a gift. Still going strong today. Sits outside on my patio all the time. Still has the original spark ignitor and it still works! Used pretty heavily. Even been through two grease fires due to my lack of cleaning the drip pan. Love the weber.

So here's an update on my "Weber" expierience. I purchased a Weber 310 Stainless 3 burner back in April. I assembled it and have had issues since. The hood made a loud clanking sound as it was binding with the lower hood. The metal plate under the control knobs has buckled up since new buckling to the point where it was pushing on the control knobs. The flavorizer bars were wrapped up in plastic, and the last one was like the plastic was melted or glued to it and I spent 10-15 minutes trying to remove it and gave up. I called their customer service and the woman I talked to acted like I was wasting her time with these issues of the overpriced Weber I had just purchased. She told me it would take up to 3 weeks to get the replacement parts out to me! Nice! Had a Weber tech come out and replace the parts they claimed were the problem and the problem was still there. Same thing still happens. Put some nice thick T-Bone steaks on last night with 2 of the three burners on low and the last burner off. Came out a few minutes later and the steaks were burnt to a crisp! Flames, soot, what a P.O.S! Kept myself from throwing the grill off the porch as there was a tech coming back out today and I'd hopefully get this grill issue resolved. He replaced the part again with the same results. Now hopefully tommorrow I will here the news from Weber that they can take their grill back, and I can get a grill that works properly whatever that may be?

I picked up a Char-Broil at Home Depot last spring. It has been a decent unit. Far less flare up issues than the previous grill. It works good for indirect grilling, and for burgers, brats, etc.

When we want a quick meal, it gets the nod.

For our good steaks or pork chops, I go for charcoal all the way.

I'm with Gissert on this, weekends its my charcoal grill, during the week, for a quick supper of chicken breasts or burgers, I use the gas grill. I also have the cheaper Char-Broil, it works just fine.

So here's an update on my "Weber" expierience. I purchased a Weber 310 Stainless 3 burner back in April. I assembled it and have had issues since. The hood made a loud clanking sound as it was binding with the lower hood. The metal plate under the control knobs has buckled up since new buckling to the point where it was pushing on the control knobs. The flavorizer bars were wrapped up in plastic, and the last one was like the plastic was melted or glued to it and I spent 10-15 minutes trying to remove it and gave up. I called their customer service and the woman I talked to acted like I was wasting her time with these issues of the overpriced Weber I had just purchased. She told me it would take up to 3 weeks to get the replacement parts out to me! Nice! Had a Weber tech come out and replace the parts they claimed were the problem and the problem was still there. Same thing still happens. Put some nice thick T-Bone steaks on last night with 2 of the three burners on low and the last burner off. Came out a few minutes later and the steaks were burnt to a crisp! Flames, soot, what a P.O.S! Kept myself from throwing the grill off the porch as there was a tech coming back out today and I'd hopefully get this grill issue resolved. He replaced the part again with the same results. Now hopefully tommorrow I will here the news from Weber that they can take their grill back, and I can get a grill that works properly whatever that may be?

Were the steaks directly over the burners you had on? If so that was your mistake. I have a 2 burner but know others that have the 3. the center burner is for faster warm up.

Sorry to hear you are not happy with the grill. I know many people with this grill and they all say it is by far the best grill they have ever owned (me included)

My brother grills 5 days a week 52 weeks a year for the last 4+ years on this grill and it still works as good as the day he bought it. He used to go through one of the cheap ones every 2 years.

My mistake was buying a weber, their customer service sucks, and so does their product. This grill is a pile of junk, not even worthy of scrap! 2 months later and 3 manifolds,4 regulators, and still the same problems as day one! What a joke!