• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spray bedliner on trailer wheels?

Ryan_V

Question

I'm almost done sprucing up my new trailer. the last thing on the list are the wheels. they are the white painted type. they are peeling and pretty rusty. Instead of painting them, I was thinking I'd have some bedliner sprayed on them......does anyone see a problem doing this? If they end up out of balance too far, I'll just balance them. this way, the wheels will stay nice and sharp with no maintainance. it's an aluma trailer, that gets used occasionally, with most use being in the winter for ice fishing..... I have a friend who does the bedliners and he will do it relatively cheaply for me.... thoughts???

5 answers to this question

I would think they might be hard to balance. Be careful not to get a build up under the lugs or where they go against the hubs. The cheap paint they put on from the factory usually has no primer under it. I would sandblast them and spray on a good primer and several good coats of enamel or have them powder coated.

I sprayed just about every thing, and I owned all my own stuff too. I sprayed arma coatings. But you will nock them way out of alinement. I would just paint them. I did it to my rim's and one year latter I had to by knew rims.

If anything, sand blast and Powder coat paint them, the balancing issue will pop up and likely ruin the tires due to hopping on the bed liner option.

Painting or just replacing them with new rims and tires may be the most cost effective plan in the long run. If the tires are near wear replacement levels, replacement with a rim/tire combo new would be my preference.

Thanks guys, I gotta tell ya, I'm bummed. I was pretty stoked about my idea!! the tires have tons of life left in them, the tread is almost like new so I don't want to ruin them. thanks for all the advise.