• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quick question...

Dotch

Last week one of my customers brought his 3 yr. old in to the office and she got all excited about the robin bobbing back and forth in front of the glass door. Can anyone suggest some bird books that would be good for a youngster of that age? Thanks in advance.

When my grandkids come to the cabin the first book they grab is Stan Tekiela's Birds of MN, even though I have a couple that were written specifically for kids. I think the photographs are the big draw. They have been grabbing that book since they could toddle to the book shelf and pull it off!

Quote:
I kept our more expensive Sibley guide out of reach.

Interesting. I just had the same thing happen this past weekend. Sibley was on the coffee table when my grandsons (2 and 4) came in and they were immediately drawn to it. With my best attempt at sleight of hand, I substituted Tekiela's book and they were fascinated by it. We sat looking at the feeder and found the birds in the book that we saw at the feeder. Sent the book home with them and when they call that's the first question I ask - "What birds did you see today?"

Yup - my Sibley is out of sight when the kids come smile My copy looks about like yours, Lisa!

It is amazing how quickly they can identify the birds too - we have kept a list of the names of the birds too: comingbirds, nutchhats, & pillyheaded woodpeckers are some of our favorites!

Nice bokeh or bouquet or whatever though... grin Thanks you guys. Sounds like Stan's book is a unanimous choice. Hallie should get a charge out of it. Have to hitch up the sled dogs and head to Barnes & Noble in Mankato next week.

I'll throw one other option in the ring. If you or any family have the iPhone get the iBird explorer. Get it through the app store. It has pics, photos, facts, ranges and a very cool section on recordings of bird songs. Once it has been downloaded it doesn't require Internet or cell connection to be used in the field. Kids love it--they just might break the phone!