• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Article in Tribune

I just put a bit together in my mind on shining. Think it effects the deer at all ? I haven't read the article yet, but I can't believe how many cruise our road and shine our fields and the neighbors to and I'm sure it continues down the few gravel options in my neck of the woods, I hate it because we've had poaching most years in my area and you wonder if it is a poacher or a soon to be poacher if they can locate what they're looking for. I'm sure more times than not it is a few road trippers having drinks and screwing around. None of us neighbors want people shining but they do it anyway. I'll have to read the article.

According to the article it is legal to shine with a loaded gun or bow in the car. (In the case of course).

I didn't know that. seems like a license to poach. Are deer heads from big bucks really that valuable?

Ok read it, tough to argue with. I always had this weird thought that shining was legal because so many coon hunters use artificial lights and such but sure that isn't related. I hate spotlights shining the house at late hours, don't like it, don't know what satisfaction people get out of it. We have Trail Cams now and scouting before dark. I think we can each shoot our own buck now aday, time to change our slaughtering attitude. Sure some will circumvent that by buying an additional tag for a spouse or relative but eventually we can weed out some of that.

They are that valuable, when sporting good stores are offering hundreds of dollars at times for them, heck large sheds are pretty valuable, there is a market for them. Someone on here could tell you what they actually might bring. Another tidbit where I know of 1 individual who doesn't consider what he did poaching but having a motion light that when deer are at his feeder, it turns on and if he can't lawfully get a buck he unlawfully gets a buck, many times in the 1-2-3AM hour, he fires but he only does this during the 9 day rifle season. One year allegedly he got one the night before opener, according to a friend of mine he has taken a really good buck about every other year doing this, makes me sick yes, but he don't feel it's like real poaching because he doesn't drive around and shoot on other peoples land. Another poaching to me is those early before shooting light or the few after shooting light, getting that extra 1/2 hour there isn't much light left after that.Illegal baiting, shooting the buck and then praying you can find an open tag. There is kind of an out of season poaching and an in-season poaching.

I know this is shining, buck party hunting thread, sorry, it would make things easier if you couldn't shine in the fall, then I'd call TIP. What about raccoon hunters ? It would be pretty easy to tell if you are legitamitely coon hunting I would guess.