• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tough Decisions!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave S

I've been riding ATVs for 25+ years and am now seriously considering hanging up that helmet and switching to 2 wheels. I've been seriously looking at a Kawasaki Concours 14. I've been on numerous bikes in the past and have kept my endorsement for the past 21 years.

Now, do I really want to pick the bike up tomorrow before the snow moves in and get some miles in?

Decisions Decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why give up one? There is always room for one more "ride" in the shop/stable.

Seriously, I've always had both (and a sled) I don't know how I could choose which to get rid of, but I did sell one of my motorcycles last weekend. (1100 Kawasaki)

Its just plain depressing to think of getting rid of any of them.

The Connie 14 is quite the machine for a 1st ride. Nothing like jumping in with both feet! I have an 05 Yamaha FJR and if that Kaw was available when I bought mine, I probably would have got it. There is no faster/more powerful sport touring machine out there, if thats what you want. By the way, I love my FJR though.

The FJR was on my short list but the Connie 14 is just too good of a deal to pass up.

Granted none of the bikes, or ATVs for that matter, have had near the hp numbers the Connie 14 has, but I consider myself to have a good amount of experience overall, bikes and ATVs.

I would sell the wheeler and get the bike if that's what you need to do. You can always get another one. I had the bike first, then got the wheeler. Kept the bike and now it just sits and gets ridden maybe 100 miles a year. Keep thinking I'm going to ride it more but it just doesn't happen. I should take my own advice and sell it but Mom says when it's gone it's gone. You sell it you don't get another one.

I've had both, for a while, at the same time. in my experience, personally and professionally, the wheeler is much safer. I've seen too many motorcycle crashes, and many motorcycle crashes don't end good. I've come to the realization that nothing is more important to me than my kids, and if something happens to me, they will grow up without a dad. granted, something could happen to any one of us any day, but why add to the risks. I'll have another bike someday, but it won't be for a while. that's my take on it!!

Lepp, I thought you were approaching middle age {like me] why do you want something with so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! vrooooom.

Lol You are prolly thinking the same thing about my post in the atv forumn. I don't know man, I have lots of toys, bought one at a time, most of them are pretty aged but still do the job. Talk to your woman.... Tell her it's paid for, not worth a fortune, not worth trading or selling [maybe it is but don't tell her that] and still alot of fun! Then talk her into a 2 wheel ride. Once you sell it is hard to replace!!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I really hate to say it since I've been so hung up on ATVs for so many years. But I'm starting to get bored with them and need something with a different sense of adventure. Atleast for now. Riding outback on the township roads or trailering for 2+ hours to find some worthwhile trails gets old. I'd like the adventure to start at the end of the driveway. Someplace I can ride without the threat of places being shutdown due to some regulation, wet conditions or drought.

I just turned 41 a couple months ago so maybe it's a "pre-midlife crisis" thing going on.

Bandit,

to answer your question about the size of the bike I have my sights set on, I plan on some longer excursions throughout the summer into the fall and would prfer something with a little more displacement just for durability/longevity. Also the ability to comfortably carry a passenger. Granted this bike has over 150 horses ready willing and able to kick me off, but that's only if a person pushes the limits.

More power to you bud. I agree the bigger the better, no use working something to death. Just be careful, I know there are times when 85 hp is tooooo much.lol

P.S. Think about that fishing trip. Bring the boss along! Mine will be here.

Yes Mac, the Rincon took the journey to its new home down by Worthington yesterday afternoon.

Much to my surprise when I walked back in the house, my wife was ready to drive me to the dealership to get the Connie. I was even more surprised that when we got there this morning, she was looking at jackets/gloves while I was out test driving the bike.

So not only did I get a respectable deal on the bike with a helmet thrown in, we got a second for cost as well as a great deal on the rest of the gear. The best part of the deal was an accepting wife.

We managed to put on over 150 easy going miles today. wink

Thanks hanronson.

Out of the bikes I've ridden in the past, this one is beyond explanation. By the time I finally parked it yesterday, I'm just shy of 300 miles in 2 days.

If there's one thing that I would change, it's the mirrors. They don't allow for very much adjustment. Other than that, no complaints.

Yes it does have a power windshield. I might upgrade to a taller shield for the longer rides also and switch back to the stock shield for normal use. Looked at the gel seat, but Kawi wants over 5 big ones for that.