• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Official Lions Off-season Thread!!!

Rick

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking great thru preseason so far... Stafford (please oh god let him be healthy for 16 games) looks absolutely on FIRE!

We need to get a bit healthier but I think we have something special started in Detroit right now

cautiously optimistic. I really want to feel just over-the-top jubilation, but I'm just waiting for the 8 ACL tears that we're going to have after we abandon all reservations and become fully excited about this team

that said, i fully expect a win against the vikes next week

the best part so far? we havent come close to playing our best football

lots of inopportune penalties and not playing up to potential defensively, and shooting our foot on offense. i'm thinking we challenge for the division, def should be in the wildcard hunt

well.... a few observations

we played about as poorly as you could play in the first half. Dumb penalties, no rhythm on offense. Big return to give them a shot at the end of the half

that being said I liked our change in momentum, Stafford played great again, the playcalling in the 2nd half was superb (great offensive adjustments!)

Backus needs to get replaced next year, that should be our top priority. He just has a habit of letting people whiz by him without getting a hand on them.

The running game hasn't been needed to win our games, but at some point it WILL become an issue. That needs to be fixed asap.

Yup, Backus looked terrible. I specifically watched that final sack he gave up to Jared Allen at the end of the 4th Qtr. He kind of extended his arms, dropped his head, and lunged at Allen who just said "Olay" and went right past to smother Stafford. After the game he admitted that his play needed to be better. He's a veteran and sometimes they take time to get their game legs back, but he needs to back up his words.

Otherwise you've gotta love the Lions.

well, i think I'm officially aboard the "we're actually for real" train

I don't think I've ever seen a better, deeper D-line, ever. It's really pretty scary. I don't think that Cutler set his feet more than a couple times all game last night

how cool was it to see Ford Field rocking? Looked like an electric atmosphere

The Lions are legit, and this might all be building towards a battle of unbeaten 11-0 teams on Thanksgiving Day. Hard to believe but fun to think about nonetheless.

The Lions defense was good last year and improved, at least along the line. They made Chicago's offensive line jump because they couldn't get into their sets fast enough against the Lions' rush. On offense, we all knew that Calvin Johnson was good and so was Stafford. So far we've seen what they can do when Stafford stays healthy. Now with Best starting to show what made him a high pick, the Lions' offense has legitimate threats on the ground and through the air. Best's runs last night setup the play-action passing game which allowed the TEs to flourish.

The Lions are legit and their roar is growing louder each week.

They just resigned the Coordinators to extensions. I can’t remember the last time this team has had the same system for four years in a row.

Need to add a few pieces to the back seven on Def for sure. They played ok during the season but just got torched the last two games.

They have been drafting online pieces over the past few years. Between injuries and the learning curve the jury is still out on these guys. A few more need to be added. The line is getting old.

It will be interesting to see what the offense looks like next year when they have both of their top two running backs back. That’s one thing a lot of people don’t realize. A very important part of their offensive monster was missing the entire season. Retaining either Morris or Smith for the third will be key as well. Just imaging what that’s going to do to the passing game.

One stat that amazed me was they are the oldest team in the NFL.

Mayhew should have another productive offseason and draft. He has done a good job the last few years trading in the draft to fill needs. This maybe the year he finally goes for a free agent plunge for the defense.

Look for DB or 2, OL, WR,DL, LB. No question about the Db’s. O line needs to find some more youth. Need to find a #4 WR. DL has some aging players time to find a player to groom to replace them in a few years. LB, need more depth.

They are beyond drafting for talent it’s now for specific needed.

Agree with what you said Klecker but I think they are still going to draft for talent and NOT needs, which IMO is good. Draft the best guy there regardless of position (with a few obvious caveats like not QB, RB, DT)

Your point about having the same coordinators is a big key to why the lions have gotten better. Can't expect folks to come in and play great all the time when you are constantly changing schemes. Many people don't realize how much of playing football is having the schemes down pat. Once you have them down, you react instinctively instead of hesitating. "Clear minds make fast legs"