• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Official Packers Off-season Thread!!

Rick

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two rumors:

1) Wells © wants too much money and the Pack are looking at free agents. Specifically Texans © Chris Meyers. However, this could just be leverage against Wells.

2) Pack will not Franchise Flynn (QB) in order to trade him. Its rumored to be too big of a financial hit (~$14mil) if they can't find a trade partner.

Unless you are one of the top few picks, mock drafts are pretty much worthless. No way to predict who will be available or how the Pack are grading players.

To quote Ted Thompson:

“There’s a lot of interest in the draft,” Green Bay General Manager Ted Thompson said, via Peter King’s Monday Morning Quarterback. “It’s great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don’t know anything about what they are talking about.”

The deadline for placing the "Franchise" tag on players has passed, and neither Flynn nor Wells received it. So both are now unrestricted free agents. Look for the Packers to get compensatory picks in future drafts if they sign elsewhere. (Probably a 3rd rnd pick for Flynn, depends on what with Wells)

Flynn is expected too, but Wells supposedly is looking for a contract similar to the highest paid center in football (Kalil) and he probably isn't going to get it. If somebody doesn't offer that type of contract to him, the Pack is expected to make a midlevel offer (supposedly they already have, but Wells has rejected it).

Maybe we can pick up Michael Turner, but even at his age I think he'll believe that he's worth more than we are willing to pay.

Let's be honest. It is clear that with McCarthy and Rodgers the Packers will always be a pass-first and pass-dominated team. That said, Ced Benson will return along with Starks, Saine, and Dujaun Harris. While none of those guys are Stephan Jackson, those guys are enough. What we need are better run blocks out of the center, LT, and TE positions.

Maybe we need to hire Mike Sherman back as assistant coach to help boost the running game! gringringrin

Quote:
Jermichael Finley announced on his Twitter account Monday that he will return to the Packers in 2013.

Finley thanked his agents in the tweet, indicating some negotiating took place with Packers GM Ted Thompson. Per the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Ty Dunne, Finley's camp came out on top as there will be no restructuring of his contract nor pay cut. Finley will be paid a $3 million roster bonus on Wednesday, in addition to a $4.45 million salary, $300,000 workout bonus, and $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses. The total stands at $8.25 million.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

All I can say is WOW smile

Dropping Jennings for the Vikes to pick up and keeping Finley. Nice move Ted.

At least he'll finish his contract and become a free agent after next year. Upping his market value is the only thing that gives me hope Jerdroppel Paddlehands might develop sticky fingers.

And if he does, it's no coincidence, and Thompson should joyfully send him off to free agency in 2014 with a pat on the shoulder and a kick in the bench cheeks. Brand new multi-year contract with the Packers would probably have him dropping them again.

I think the Packers will be hurting if when they pay Rodgers and Mathews. Just those 2 will consume a 1/4 or more of their cap. Not sure having a couple top allstars on your team is a benefit, or not. It seems like it may be more of a drag on a team, then a benefit.

Yep... Fumbley had one good season, his contract year. He'll have a great year this year and Ted better not fall into that trap again! He is a turd and should be a long ways away form G.B.! They let Crabtree go for 100k more than their offer (800k a year) and they keep Finnley for 8M a year? I don't get it! I'd take Crabtree and the 7M in savings every day of the week! and twice on Sunday!!

As much as I'd like to have seen Jennings remain a Packer, I get that move. Cobb, Nelson and Jones have done well as the Pack's top 3 recievers last year. It's hard carrying 4 starting recievers on a squad.

I hope Ted knows what he is doing... cause so far I don't get it!

Good Luck!

Ken

Believe it or not, Finley and Rodgers got along better than Jennings and Rodgers in the past few years. Rodgers has repeatedly voiced his support for Finley, including talking about how the two sit around on Saturday nights to devise ways to get Jermichael the ball more. Jennings? Rodgers didn't even tweet him a goodbye like he did for Woodson, Walden, and other departed Packers.

My point is, TT was faced with losing two of Rodgers top targets. Finley was the cheaper option and the shortest term. The Packers also have better depth at WR than at TE. I can't imagine TT paying Finley next year, as he's been drafting tight ends for years. One of them should step forward.

As for Rodgers and Matthews deals, that's the main reason GB did not make series offers in the first few weeks of free agency. They have the cap and more than enough cash to pay those two, but they along with Raji will command big dollars. TT doesn't spend in FA so that he can afford to sign his best players without strain to the rest of the team

As for Rodgers and Matthews deals, that's the main reason GB did not make series offers in the first few weeks of free agency. They have the cap and more than enough cash to pay those two, but they along with Raji will command big dollars. TT doesn't spend in FA so that he can afford to sign his best players without strain to the rest of the team

That's been Ted's way. So far it's worked out splendidly. One can argue specific deals (and of course that's what us fans like to do), but it's hard to argue with the team's consistent success.

And if TT kept Finley for one more year, figuring he'll have a strong season because it's a contract year, it'll be just one more smart move he's made if Finley quits dropping balls.