• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Official Packers Off-season Thread!!

Rick

Watched parts of the preseason game against Buffalo. Wow, the starters looked really good. Its preseason, so you can't read too much into it, but I was impressed. Raji was good for not having practiced much, in fact on one play he almost got to the QB despite being double teamed. He just pushes the pocket. The D was flying around, hitting people, making plays, with 4 turnovers created in the first half.

Rogers looked sharp and in midseason form. Grant even had a few solid runs, which is promising. The line seemed more cohesive than last year.

We've got a ways to go, but at least this game was promising!!

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by Tom Fanning, Packers.com

posted 08/28/2009

GLENDALE, Ariz. - It was going to be difficult for the Packers' first offensive unit to top their production from the first two preseason games, but they found a way to do just that on Friday night at Arizona.

The No. 1 offense scored 31 points on their six first-half possessions and the Packers held on for a 44-37 victory over the Arizona Cardinals in front of 61,753 at University of Phoenix Stadium to improve to 3-0 on the preseason.

Leading the charge for the offense once again was quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who continued his impressive preseason play by completing 14-of-19 passes for 258 yards, three touchdowns and a 155.2 quarterback rating in a half of play as the Packers rushed out to a 38-10 lead at the break.

"I thought we were great tonight," Rodgers said. "Three games, no punts for the first team, 31 points tonight. Again, I'll say that the line was great. I rarely got touched. In the run game, I thought we opened some holes up and then it's just pitch and catch out there and guys made plays."

With four touchdowns and a field goal on their six series Friday night, the No. 1 offense has now scored nine touchdowns and a field goal for a jaw-dropping 66 points on 12 preseason possessions. The only series the Packers did not score on in the first half came when Mason Crosby missed a 29-yard field goal in the second quarter.

The first offense has not had to punt in the preseason and the No. 1 offensive line has yet to yield a sack of Rodgers, who has connected on 27-of-38 attempts for 458 yards, six touchdowns, no interceptions and a 151.1 quarterback rating in the three preseason games.

Smith's takeaway was one of three in the first half as the first defensive unit continued their impressive run of takeaways in the preseason. Green Bay now has forced 13 turnovers in three games after posting four more on Friday night.

Aren't you worried about their defense?

GLENDALE, Ariz. - For the third straight game, Green Bay's defense forced four or more turnovers, and cornerback Charles Woodson made his presence felt with two forced fumbles that led to scores for the Packers.

Woodson led the defense with two sacks and three forced fumbles, and the Packers' defense has now produced a staggering 13 takeaways in just three preseason games.

"That's the kind of defense we want to be," Woodson said. "It's been fun this preseason being an attacking defense, getting turnovers. That's the one thing we know we want to carry over into the regular season."

Woodson got the turnover parade started on the first defensive series of the game as he stripped wide receiver Jerheme Urban on a reception at the Green Bay 49, and then recovered the fumble and returned it to the Arizona 45. The Packers used the field position to set up a 27-yard field goal from Mason Crosby to go up 10-0.

"I'm just trying to do my part," Woodson said. "I want to earn my keep around here, so if I can be the guy that starts it and sets the tone, then I'll be that guy. If not, then I'll finish it off. One way or the other, I'll get involved."

Midway through the second quarter, Woodson came through untouched on a blitz and forced a fumble by quarterback Kurt Warner, Woodson's third forced fumble of the game, and linebacker Aaron Kampman scooped up the ball for a 24-yard return touchdown.

"We had a blitz on and I was the contain element," Kampman said. "Charles made a great play on the ball and got it out, and I just happened to be on the carpet and I took it in for the score. I haven't scored like that since high school so that was fun."

Late in the first half, safety Anthony Smith posted his second interception of the preseason, coming over to intercept Warner's deep pass over the middle intended for Urban. Smith returned the pick 38 yards to the Arizona 11, setting up quarterback Aaron Rodgers' touchdown pass to tight end Jermichael Finley on the next play to put the Packers up 38-10 at the half.

"I think it's another step in the right direction," Kampman said. "You never get too high in the preseason, but the reality is some fundamental things that we are doing are good things. We're getting the ball, getting a lot of takeaways, and those are good things. I think they are going to be good signs for a pretty good defense this year."

Aren't you worried about their defense?

Yep. But I'm hoping Capers and the 3-4 change will pay dividends. They have great DBs but with no pass rush last year it was painful to watch. I see some blitz packages coming into play this year. Just hoping we don't get burned on the screen.

Their defense has been absolutely outstanding in preseason, but we all know preseason doesn't count! If it carries over into the season they'll be a force to deal with as their offense hasn't lost a step after last year and continue to put up points.

At this point there is no doubt who the best QB is in the NFC North.

Excited about the D, we'll see how it goes during the regular season........ The offense has been great, but it will come down a notch as soon as opposing D's start game planning for them.

The D mainly gave up the 27 & 37 points with the scrubs in. The starters have been lights out! Yeah, the competition wasn't great, but the only person they had problems with was Larry Fitzgerald, he gives everyone problems!!!

Looking forward to a good season!!

Yeah they shut out cleveland, but gave up 21 points and 37 points back to back. I wouldn't call that absolutely outstanding, but I agree on the best Qb in the north deal. Man is he good.

The starting defense has allowed 10 points in three games and created many turnovers. I know it's preseason, but the starting offense & defense are looking pretty good at this point.

Yeah they shut out cleveland, but gave up 21 points and 37 points back to back. I wouldn't call that absolutely outstanding,

Gotta look a little deeper than the bottom-line ticker score to get the whole story there bud, especially during preseason.