• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Round ball and loose powder through a Pro-Hunter?

I am planning on applying for an elk tag in colorado. But in colorado you need to use loose powder and a round ball or conical bullet. Sabots are not allowed. What are peoples experience with this setup. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Hoytmystic

I'm guessing that you have a modern muzzle loader with about one in twenty-two twist. That would totally not stablize a round ball. I shoot round ball only and my fastest twist is a .45 cal with one in forty-eight. I have a couple with one in sixty and a .54 hunting gun with one in seventy two. Conical bullets can use a faster twist, but to get enough velocity to stabilize, you might be forced to go to FFFg powder rather than the slower burning FFg. You might want to go the the range and experiment to find loads that will group. Good luck.

You should be able to shoot the T/C Maxi Ball or Maxi Hunters(conical bullets) Check your owners manual for load data charts. It should have recommended load information for loose powder and conical bullets.