Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ice-King

What kind of rod does everyone use for throwing bulldogs?

14 posts in this topic

Just curious as to what rods people are using for throwing bulldogs. Brand, length, action, etc. What about for throwing pounders?

8.5 Compre XH for me on the mag dawgs. I borrowed a friends St. Croix XXH last fall for pounders and such, it was an 8 foot pool cue.

8'6" monster heavy. From Musky Innovations. I've tried a lot of different ones and thats my favorite. Only thing I dont like is the guides. After one summer I needed to put new guides on it which wasnt a big deal cuz I got it for dirt cheap. Pounders are not a problem casting with that rod.

8'6" St.Croix Legend Tournament Series Big Dawg for me!

Hey Matt, I'll have to check out your link. I've done a lot of winter laker fishing up there, and I'm dying to try Manitou for some 'skies!

Paul.

Also a bulldog series legend tourament. Never tried throwing the pounders with it. Just regular and magnums bulldogs.

Biggest I throw out would be Magnums... Mag SuperD's, Mag Bulldawgs, 9" Curly Sue... and I use my 8'6 Professional Edge Edge series for this... Heck... it floats even with a Mag SuperD connected to it... grin

Standard -

8'6" X-Heavy St.Croix Legend Tournament

Custom -

9'6" X-Heavy ST. Croix Legend Tournament Thorne Bros. Custom 20 inch handle.

Handles mags - 2lb'rs

st. croix xx- heavy 4- 14oz. lure 8' with an abu garcia ultra cast reel and 120 lb. tuf line.

I've been happy with the Okuma EVx Heavy action for mag's, never thrown a pounder but I'm sure it could handle those as well.