Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phooj

White Bass ...

67 posts in this topic

I just started out fishing for white bass, and my mom loved the fish and she said it has the best taste eve, so she is begging me this year to go get her a couple of them, well the place i used to fish for white bass is in redwing, mn 61 and 63 there, right over the bridge, but i heard it is part of the Miss. River so anyone have any idea where i can find some, im from the MSP area? Tnaks in advance

Pool 4 is well known for white bass You may have better luck with actual areas in the panfish forum!

Quote:
Pool 4 is well known for white bass You may have better luck with actual areas in the panfish forum!

Isn't that somthing!

A White Bass is a true Bass and a Large and smallmouth Bass are in the sunfish famly. So you don't look for (true) Bass info in the Bass form you look in the panfish form.

Isn't that somthing!

Right now True Bass are starting to move up into feeder creeks and biulding up behind small dams. If I were you I would find a few of these small dams and make a milk run. Watch and see what the other fishermen are using (start with a white twister tail) and catching.

The Hmong like White Bass so if you find them see if there catching White Bass.

I'm heading out in a few minuntes and I'll give an update later today.

I'm back.

I fished a small river in the area today. Sorry, no White Bass! There were to many Walleye in the area. After 8 Walleyes in 8 casts I figured if there were White Bass in the area they weren’t able to get a look at my lure. It looks like I’ll have to wait for the full moon to come and go before I try that spot again for White Bass.

Quote:

Isn't that somthing!

A White Bass is a true Bass and a Large and smallmouth Bass are in the sunfish famly. So you don't look for (true) Bass info in the Bass form you look in the panfish form.

Isn't that somthing!

Well, to be fair, lots of people lump white Bass in with panfish - it may not be technically correct, but it is the way it is.

It's all good though - Muddog, you are a wealth of good information, and I appreciate all the help you bring, along with all the other guys as well.

I would have to say more people think they are Striped Bass.

Pool #4 is all the water in the Mississippi river from Red Wing Mn (Water containment device #3) to Alma Wisconsin (Water containment device #4).

You would think on a fishing fourm you would be able to say the D** word. Moristown is the best little town by a Dam site.

Pool 2 in the cities has a bunch of them. Watch the pool 2-3 forum and you should start to see updates on where people are catching them as soon as the water level goes down.

The MN river also has them.

where is this MN river? where is the good place to locate them?

Hey Dam is working L I B.

White Bass are moving all the time! If I were to say they were in one spot today there is a vary good chance they won't be there tomarrow. You have to get out and fish! Look for Sea Gulls. Look for small Dams, Inlets to rivers. Just remember, they are moving ALL THE TIME if the bite slows they have moved!

If you get a chance, hit Devil's lake in ND early June. You don't even need a boat. They are cruising windblown shorelines or in their spawning bays. We killed them a couple of years ago. Lake was way too rough for boating so we just cruised Highway 2 looking for shoreline that looked good. We found a side road that was built up with rock and had some wind blowing on it. We could see the WB cruising by about 6 feet from the shore. Twisters, small topwaters, little Rattle Raps. Real feisty fighters. Also, big Northerns waiting a little further offshore for "strays". Big X-Raps, Spooks, and Spinnerbaits. It was great. Fishing from shore just like when you were little.

raider4ever you might have to give me direction. seriously.

Phooj,

It's on US Highway 2 Just past the city of Devil's Lake. When we were there, the WB were in the area known as "Channel A" as well as along the rocky shores of elevated roads. You can download a very good lake map off the internet. The lake is huge, you can't really miss it. There are different roads you can go on around the lake. I was there with my buddy and his uncle who has a trailer at one of the resorts there so I didn't know where I was most of the time. Like I said in the previous post, the lake was too windy to take the boat out but that did not hamper us with the WB and Northerns. Seriously, bring wire leaders. We had to trek back into town a couple of times to reload the rattle rap supply. Hardware store had the #8's on sale for $1.99. That helped. Average snot rocket was about five pounds off the shore. Our WB's went about 2 pounds.

Quote:

Isn't that somthing!

Isn't that somthing!

LOL! Good Stuff!! grin

They should be on the wing dam's pretty good. Pool 4 runs from red wing to south of wabasha.

thanks! what about the st.croix river? now what kind of gulp? any kind?

I know there are a lot in the Croix as well. I'm not sure about the best area.

i just got back from william obrien its crazy . white bass are biting.

i just got back from william obrien its crazy . white bass are biting.

Where in O Brien do you fish at>???

Kind of off topic, but how do they taste? I've heard from some guys they taste like crappies. Is this true?