• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Team # 8

mnhunter2

Mnhunter2 reporting in for team 8 This is my first time in a turkey contest and I have been accused of being a turkey fanatic. I will get to hunt if 4 states this yr so I hope I can put a winning bird on the ground. I am having a little problem as my first hunting area just got dumped on with 18" of wet snow and I planning on hunting it in 2 wks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, Mo Gator here. I'll be in south central Iowa April 17-20 on 1200 private acres. Hopefully I'll be coming home with a nice one. I also have a MN tag for the last season in the Buffalo area.

Wally dog here......Idaho opens 4/15 for adults and I'll be in the fabulous Clearwater River country. I'll be calling for youth hunters this weekend however. This year marks my 26th year hunting the bird in Idaho. I don't absolutely measure sucess by harvest, but is hasn't been a problem for many years. We certainly don't see many birds over 20# in our mountain country, tho periodically we find one with multiple beards!

As to a name, I've always been fond of "jellyheads".

Best of luck to my fellow team mates.

Be safe in the turkey woods.

Cheers,

WD

Wally dog, I think that multiple beards score very well with the NWTF scoring system,a 20 lber with a few beards will beat a 28# with an average beard. As far as a name tomfoolery is fine with me. I get to start in SD then move on to NEB then on to Iowa and finish up in MN during season 425H. The tension mounts!!!

Teamers, I knocked the dust of this morning and called in a terrific bird for a 12 year old. Actually it was the 7th longbeard I called into gun range this morning between 7 a.m. & 7:25. Too close, gun malfunction, you name it we had it. Photos to follow of the 3 year old or better. 1 1/8" spurs, thick mostly broken off 9" beard, I'd estimate north of 20#.

Headed for the Clearwater River country tomorrow mid-day. My hunt starts Wednesday.

Cheers & be safe,

WD

Here's the story and some pics to my bird.

I left for my Uncle's farm Friday night after work. Had the four wheeler loaded on the trailer and my aunt and cousin and I were going to a fish dinner once I arrived. Dinner was great, my uncle and I shared a few beers and a glass of brandy and I was off to bed.

I woke up at 4:30 am to the sound of rain, it wasn't a real hard rain and no thunder or lightning so I got dressed got out the four wheeler and I was off to my spot. I got out to the field, parked the four wheeler on top of the hill and made the short hike down to my spot. Once I got there I realized I had dropped some of my turkey stakes from my bag and decided to follow my path back to the four wheeler to find them. Sure enough they were laying right by the four-wheeler and back down the hillside I went. I put a hen and a jake in the low grass area just outside the woods, I put B-mobile and a feeding hen in the bean field and I put another set of hen and jake higher up on the field in an opening to the adjacent field which is state park land.

The woods was pin drop silent other than the rain fall. I took out my gobbler shaker call and let a good gobble...nothing. I waited a bit and then hit my box call with some cuts and purrs....nothing. I was getting nervous but knew there were turkeys around and decided to wait it out. At about 5:40 I again gave both the box call and the shaker another shot and again nothing in return. As it got closer to 6 am the rain as gradually letting up and at about 6am, I gave a couple soft yelps....GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE, a tom had come up to the edge of the woods behind me in the state park and was litteraly less than 30 yds from my back side. He worked the opposite side of the woods for a few seconds and I was hidden enough that I reached for my push box call and just gave him a couple soft purrs again. He then decided to make his way through the woods again no more than 20-30 yds from me. once he got to the clear side of the woods, he looked right past the hen and the jake decoy I had in the low grass area, and locked on to B-Mobile. It was on. He went in to full strut right across in front of me and as soon as he showed me his head, BOOM, 6:08am tom turkey down. The shot couldn't have been more than 20 yds. My three year wait to get a tag again was ended with a hunt that lasted less than 2 hours.

This tom was in rough shape when I got to him, I have no doubt he had recently had his lunch handed to him in a tussle and was looking to settle the score with B-mobile. His chest and tail feathers were tattered pretty good.

Here's some photos, 22lbs, 7/8" spurs, 9" beard.

Four Wheeler and B-mobile set up

IMG_3104.jpg

Hen and Drake Decoys just outside woods

IMG_3096.jpg

Turkey

IMG_3115.jpg

Face time

IMG_3114.jpg