• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My Maribou jigs and Hair Jigs...

Nice tie, looks like a crappie killer wink

Anyone ever put Krystal Flash in their Maribous? I put it in the wooly buggers I tied up for open water crappies, I really don't know if it will help or not. I guess I'll just have too see.

I would simply start putting more Maribou on a jig and throw it on a piece of line and put it in some water. Check the action of the Maribou when jigged and adjust to what you want. Tinsel and Krystal Flash can be used for a little more sparkle.

I know some use bucktail hair on their walleye jigs. There is a post about it on here somewhere.

Not too bad, she'll catch fish. One thought - when useing maribou it compresses and dosn't build up like bucktail does. Try useing jigs without a collar for bucktail. You can then add some more hair without getting that build-up you have behind the eye. Alot of personal preference but confidence is real important when fishing...

No collar jigs...

p4042896.jpg

Some inspiration...

jigsw.jpg

I personally like the collar on the jig. For me it prevents the tied bucktail from slipping and holds it tighter to the jig head, however with a little more practice you will be able to cut down on your build up and keep minimize the amount of thread you are using. You need to get a feel for how tight you can wrap without breaking the size thread you are using. Here are just a couple that I have tied up.

SSPX0146.jpg

Good point LakeDoctor. The jigs without a collar can be more difficult to tie as the bucktail likes to spin. One way to combat this is to use smaller but more clumps of hair. Another thing I do is, I use a small diameter thread to prevent build-up. I also feel I get a more durable jig by haveing more individual wraps of thread. Try 6/0 or 8/0, I like the thinner 8/0 and you can actually really crank down on even the thin threads...

Most of my lake jigging is in 12-25 foot of water and I can usually cover that with a 1/4 oz jig. You can use it shallower but would be fishing it alog much quicker. And you can fish it deeper dependng on wind and current. Thats why I do tie some 1/8th's and 3/8 ouncers. Our river here, im usually fishing 6-12 feet deep, but with the current - the 1/4 oz covers things. If im searching I like to fish a heavier jig quicker but most of the time im pitching to the "spot on the spot" on a milk-run of spots. One big lake we fish, the fish are more scattered on bigger structue so that means mostly 3/8 oz jigs...

Colors - Heres a pict of some of our favorites...

p4042898.jpg

That brown and green number in the bottom right is about all my dad uses in a bucktail and is honestly responsible for thousands of eyes.

I really like the yellow/brown and the olive/black. Plus the perch pattern if the fish are woring weed-lines looking for perch...

Ate1 - I painted all those from scratch. The smallmouths love that brown number along with the walleyes...

Jordyn - Maybe a tad more bulk? My river/cold water jigs im typically tipping with a minnow so I tend to tie them with less hair. Mostly im tipping them with a crawler piece and tied with a bit more hair...

Something to play around with...

The sickle hooks are great, they had a bad run of them in the begining, they were not tempered properly, they kinda got a bad name for being weak after that. But I have landed many large smallies on them in current since that first run and they are very strong for how light of wire they are!

The jigs are powder coated, then tied and eyes put on and cleared with epoxy or cs clear coat. Thanks for the compliments