• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

shore fishing help please

mrpike1973

hello i used to have a boat no more all i knew when i had the boat was to troll spoons for pike now that im stuck on shore what are some fish i could target the best and what kind of lures are needed also sounds funny but im allergic to fish slime and get sick from gulp,and power bait so im thinking fake lures? will iloose a lot of tackle from shore

If you're up for a little variety, go toss a nightcrawler into a river near you, you'll probably catch quite a few fish and it's a lot of fun to see all the different species you can catch doing this.

I do alot of fishing from shore and here is some of what I use but just about anything you use in a boat you can use from shore. Bass I like top water baits buzz baits and plastic frogs are two. Pike Mepp's spinners. Crappies tube jigs. Eye's jig and fat head under bobber and raps. For rivers I use bettle spins and Mepp's XD spinners. These are my go to lures for shore fishing but like I said I have used everything in my box from shore but lindy rigs.

My favorite bait for shorefishing is hands down a nightcrawler.

I present it differently for different situations. In a river, one of my favorite ways is a little splitshot and a single hook. In MN to make it a lure, you can add a bead, but I don't always follow the law to a T. A great way to fish, you can simply find a good area and keep your shadow off the pool where the fish are and let the crawler drift downstream. The fish are waiting for such a thing and I've caught some dandies this way.

On the lake, I really like a lindy rig and a crawler rig. I rig the lindy with a splitshot for speed. That is, I put a tiny splitshot below the lindy to stop it. Sometimes I'll blow up the crawler with a worm blower so it is easier for the fish to see. I typically drag the thing in on what I call the painful pace. That is, with a reel with a lousy gear ratio and as slowly as I can go. The advantage to super slow is that you will always have tension on the line in most situations and you'll cover some ground.

An alternative lake fishing method is with a bobber. I typically only use a half crawler on a bobber because a half usually is good enough for most fishes and a whole one seems to scare even a nice gill off.

Ironically, when I'm not shorefishing, I rarely use the crawler unless I'm targeting the shoreline.