• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camping ???

slurpie

Looking at going camping this summer up north somewhere got a few ???. Are little pets allowed got a [PoorWordUsage]zu maltese dog that i would like to bring with. Would like to stay at one on a lake, size of the lake dont matter. Any suggestions? Would only be a weekend thing and later in the summer July - August sometime. And ill be ruffing it in a tent.

There are a lot of places up here to go camping. We take our dog everywhere we go camping. But as posted earlier most campsites have rules.

Few places we have stayed at around here are Echo Lake Buyck area, Wake Em Up Bay on Lake Vermillion, Hoo Doo point Lake Vermillion, Nine Mile lake campground, Harriet Lake campground.

Private campgrounds like to charge extra for pets.

State parks have leash rules. Same rules apply to state forest campgrounds but there's generally no one around to enforce any rules.

If your dog isn't a barker, most people won't care if you have one or not.

Quote:

If your dog isn't a barker, most people won't care if you have one or not.

Reminds me of a time we were camping at Echo Lake and sitting around the campfire and the dog(a very friendly and social Siberian Husky) was laying just off to the side of us. As she is very good when we are camping we weren't paying a whole of attention to what she was doing. All of a sudden we hear our neighbor say "where did you come from" in a pretty much friendly greeting to the dog. She had snuck off and went visiting. He wasn't upset and since she just wanted to go say hi no harm no foul. Just a little embarrassing blush

We were at Shady Oaks in Garden City last Memorial Day weekend. Someone brought their dog along and chained it to the bumper of their RV. It was a barker. Surprised it made it through the weekend. And BTW, I am not just talking about it being out barking all day- it was chained to their bumper 24 hours a day and barked all night.

That is not a dog problem, that is a dog owner problem. I have had 3 dogs and not one has been a barker, more about how you train and treat you dog as to whether they are going to be barkers than the personality of the dog.

I agree about it being owners problem, but if they had any sense they shoulda boarded it for the weekend. No sense in ruining everyones sleep all weekend. We have a pop-up, and noise barriers are few and far between in them

Quote:
Would only be a weekend thing and later in the summer July - August sometime. And ill be ruffing it in a tent.

Just a one time camping trip this summer? How about just taking a test camping trip first?

Try one night at a State Park near by. Just throw whatever you think you will need for the night in the car and go. Don't forget the basics, and don't make it a big deal. Eat first if you want & just bring snacks.

Bring a note pad and a pen with you to jot down all the things you might want to bring next time, you will need it. Bring the little sitzu and try it out.

After that you will be able to plan your July-August weekend better.

PS...An inflatable air mattress in a tent is one of the best luxuries you can have camping...in my opinion. Plus an electric pump for it...

"PS...An inflatable air mattress in a tent is one of the best luxuries you can have camping...in my opinion. Plus an electric pump for it..."

Agreed,,,,until your 100 pound golden retriever jumps into bed with you and his nails pop the beg,,,,,,,dumb dog!

smirk