• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Team 3 Turkey Takers

harvey lee

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a morning it was.

I left home at approx 5am to get to my blind early enough and hopped the rain would stop. I was in my blind at approx 6am and the rain stopped within 15 minutes.

I'm sitting there and I hear a tom gobble a few times. I looked to my left and here stands two very nice toms and 3 hens. I watched them for approx 10 minutes at 50 yards and then I tried to call them but they were not interested in the call as they had their hens. They came to what I thought was approx 40 yards and then were going to trott off. I took a shot at one and missed. Now I'm really bummed as this could have been the biggest bird I have ever seen. Washtub size at a minimum.

I sit there for another 45 mintes and here comes two more toms. I tried to call them and they came within 35 yards. I lifted the gun up, shot twice and they both took of unharmed. Trouble is, I only brought 3 shells with as I have never needed more than 1 shot as this is a 3.5 magnum with 3.5 inch turkey loads.

Now I'm about as upset as one can get as I had numerous toms and missed everything. I walked a 1/4 mile back to my truck to see if I had a few shells laying around my truck as usually there are some under the seat or in the glove box. I found 2 stell shot and 2 lead one which was a 4 and the other a 6 shot.

I head back to the blind and climb in my brush pile and sit down on my stump chair. After approx 10 minutes, I hear another gobble, gobble and there are 2 more toms. I called to the toms and they came on over within 18 yards to check it out. I whacked the one and boy was I glad that one dropped dead as a door nail.

Pics will follow as the bird weighs 22.5 pounds and looks to have a 10 inch beard and approx 1 inch spurs.

You know what they say about the sun shining on a dogs back side every so often.

Harvey,

Thanks for the story. I know that will make a kid that I was hunting with last weekend feel a little better(he has been a little unlucky with whitetails and turkeys). We were sitting a field edge that some birds had been using. We had a buituful Tom come in and hang around at 15-30 yards for 3-4 minutes. The bird came in on his left and he just could get around before the bird was to close. The bird finally got a litte uneasy and started moving of fairly quickly. The kid was able to get to his knees when the bird went behind a round bail. When that bird came out on the other side it was 30-35 yds away. I putted at him and he stopped with parascope up. Well he got a shot off and that bird was gone. I was amazed that bird didn't pile up. He was so disappointed he had missed. Well he learned what he could from the exsperience and we were able to joke about it later that night at camp. We went on to tell him about all our misses over the years and this will be one more I can pile on for him.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Nice bird Tommie!!!

I see you got yours earlier. I got mine about 10:30 this morning.

Atta boy Tom, that's why we get 3 strikes to strike out! count was 0 and 2 and you dinged one! Way to go! Shows why we need to stick it out even when we think we screwed up.

Good Luck!

Ken

Yes but, I struck out with 3 misses and then connected. I was totally bummed when I had to go back to the truck to see if I had more shells along. I never dreamed I could miss 3 straight shots. Not even in this wind.