• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chokes and flight control wads

FrontenacPike

Hello everyone I'm looking to get an aftermarket choke for my Benelli. A while back I thought I read an article about with today heavyweight ammo and the flight control wads that you should buy a choke that is non ported. Supposedly the ports restrict the flight control wad and it leaves you with a poor pattern. Is there any truth to that? I know that the only way to get "the perfect" pattern is to buy a choke and buy several different brands of ammo, I'm just curious about the port issue and the ever so popular denser than lead ammo that is on the market today.

The is the general line FrontenacPike. More open choke is often beneficial as well. The 20 gauge wads are not as picky though.

My 12 gauge stoeger 2000 shot the Federal #5 Flite control lead shot through a ported Comp n choke choke very well. This choke is tight and has a wad stripping design and it still like them FC shells better than anyuthing else I pushed through it.

So I guess you never know for sure until you try.

I tried the Federals last year with the flight control wad with poor results. I thought they patterned ok, but what patterning your gun doesn't tell you is how much knock down energy you have at different ranges. As it turned out last year, 30 yards was too far.

I usually stick with a higher velocity round, but thought I would give the Feds a try.

i like the federal premium 3" t shot shells can put a real smack on them!!

If your using "T" shot for turkeys, you're looking for a ticket. The largest maximum shot allowable for turkeys is #4.

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM
As it turned out last year, 30 yards was too far.

Either you have a goofy pattern or you missed. At 30 yards, 6 shot lead has more than enough momentum to penetrate and kill.

My first shot kart-wheeled the turkey over backwards. He did the usual wing beat on the ground. After I left my stand and stepped out into the field, he stood up and ran. 2nd shot missed, 3rd kart-wheeled him again.

It was pouring rain that day and the birds were soaked. Not to mention I could see the pattern hit the wet alfalfa behind the bird, so yes I had a good solid hit on him. Future rounds out of my gun will be no less than 1300fps.

The more I think about it, I'll probably just get a ported. There is enough ammo on the market other than the hyped up Federal I can play around with. I just thought prior to buying a choke, if it payed to get a non ported in case the Federal's was as good as initial reports.

LEP, I am confused at your complaint here. A wet turkey head has no more resistance than a dry turkey head and I am assuming that your third shot was the farthest of the three shots and it knocked him dead. correct? Therefore, I would say that either you can complain about consistancy and quality control, or you missed... At 30 yards, I don't think a body shot will penetrate enough to kill a bird but it would probably shake him pretty good which is probably what happened on the first shot. Regardless, shoot what you prefer. I will vouch for the shells. My Benelli M1 & factory full choke is putting 12-20 in the head and neck at 40 yards. And they have plenty of energy. I rolled one at 42 yards last year.

turkeys are like geese right? so the shells should do the same thing to a turkey...

A goose needs to be knocked out of the air. You have to break bones and penetrate to the vital organs to kill it.

A turkey "SHOULD" be hit in the head/neck with a good tight pattern. Smaller pellets will hold a tighter pattern and will easily penetrate the thin skin of the neck and wimpy skull of a turkey for a quick, clean kill. This is why the law says "no pellets larger than #4" I have no doubt that your "T" shot will kill a tirkey. That's not the point. The point is, it is illegal to use for turkeys.

dhuth,

my point was these rounds did not work for me. It doesn't mean they wouldn't work for someone else. I am 100% confident I hit the head/neck area of the turkey.

I also didn't mean that a wet turkey would have any more resistance to a shot than a dry bird unless of course someone tried a body shot and the feathers might be more dense. This is not the case here. I would never take a body shot or any low percentage shot for that matter.

Originally Posted By: broken_line
turkeys are like geese right? so the shells should do the same thing to a turkey...

A goose needs to be knocked out of the air. You have to break bones and penetrate to the vital organs to kill it.

A turkey "SHOULD" be hit in the head/neck with a good tight pattern. Smaller pellets will hold a tighter pattern and will easily penetrate the thin skin of the neck and wimpy skull of a turkey for a quick, clean kill. This is why the law says "no pellets larger than #4" I have no doubt that your "T" shot will kill a tirkey. That's not the point. The point is, it is illegal to use for turkeys.

I would also add the hunter safety factor when choosing smaller shot sizes.

I shot ducksd with blackcloud and I belive that they have the flight control wads and my gun is ported and had great results so with that said what do you guys think about blackcloud for gobblers? in 4 shot of course

you know i was wondering about blackcloud for turkeys, it sure does work well for ducks. It's steel though and I don't know that shooting it thru a turkey choke would be very good for your gun

well I thought of that also but I have a full choke for steel that does work very well and I know they make extra full for my gun for flying fowl. I guess I'll have to make a decision soon.