• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HSO #1 ~~Heart breakers and Tom takers~~

PierBridge

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off I neeed help uploading my photos. I tried photobucket but I cannot get it to work.

Here is the story: I got to my spot this morning and I heard a lot gobbling,but once they got on the ground it was pretty quiet. I had a jake come by but I was not going to shoot him. He gobbled a few times and went on his way. I did here 1 gobble about a 100 yds away. Well about 15 minutes later I saw a turkey coming through the brush. Then another and another and another. The first several were jakes, and then I saw a few long beards. 2 of them startind to fan out. By this time there were 10 toms and jakes about 20 - 40 yds away. I waited for the 2 toms to seperate and I shot. It was all over by 7:00am.

He weighed 22 lbs 2 oz, had a 9 1/2" beard and 3/4" spurs.

Way to go team 1#. That really sounds like a great bird. I Have had my problems with PB as well so I switched to Paint.net. My wife found this one for me. IT seems to work for putting in my Avatar. I haven't had an opportunity to do more with it but might work for you. I can't wait to have my shot at a bird. Man you guys are really putting the pressure on the rest of the team. Love it. Hope to see your pics.

Mike

Thanks and Congrats Jim I had a feeling you were going to bag one.

Not sure what problems you are having with Photobucket Jim but you could send them to me and I can post them.

imageshack.us ....works good also for hosting pics.

Email sent.

We do have a great spot to hunt. We have shot a bird 5 years in a row from the exact same spot. 4 within 50 yds of each other. The landowner has been really good about letting us hunt there, and I make sure that I do something for him every year. The other good part is that my wife also hunts with me part of the time.

Good luck to everyone else.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Sorry I missed this thread for so long.

Way to go guys!!!! 3 for 3 so far smile

I'm hunting zone 462E. Looks like Luvsoutdoors and are hunting the same season and then we have knolls bringing up the anchor leg.

You 3 early guys have the pressure on us to finish strong now.

Gotta keep ths streak alive!!! laugh

6 for 6 would look mighty good.

Hey just checking in with team we have been quite for awhile.How's the hunting going? I bagged a Merriam Jake on a return trip to SD.Had a tom working it's way to me and 3 Jakes came out and beat him up and chased him off.So I called the Jakes to me and punished one for doing that.16lb Jake.Took me longer to drive back then to harvest my turkey.I tried for the flock that has a few white hens in it since I had a hen tag also but they went away from me in the morning.I was not going to take any hens unless it was the white one to put on the entry way shelf.I head out to WI next week hope to get one have not been able to scout there this year.

here is a pic:

turkey2009.jpg

What a morning. Rained for the first two hours. I'm looking one way then look back, there is a hen 16 yards away looking right at me. She goes about her business and exits 10 minutes later. Nice show to start the morning.

Then 20 minutes later I get three hens coming from the same area, moving fast and they finally disappear about 100 yards away-stage left. Nice second act here.

I take the coffee out and I get a feeling to look back where those Jenny's's disappeared.

Now we're looking at a Tom with about 7 hens and a couple jakes pestering him. He starts attacking the Jakes and they scatter. The hens stick to him like glue. They're almost fighting each other for him. He's fanning out and just leading his harem where he wants to go. He was a good 70 yards away passing in back of me. No shot at this bruiser. The third act was absolutley awesome.

I wait for a while and sick of sitting, I head back to the truck to get my goose blind. I take it and set that up then walked back to the original spot. I sit down and start eating. Finish a banana and toss the peel on the ground. I look up and am amazed at seeing a Tom all fanned out not 20 yards away.

I scramble to get my gun ready (slowly laugh ).

I'm waiting for him to get in a better position and he hangs up for what semed like forever. Probably only 5 -10 seconds.

It's an ok shot angle so I decide to heck with it and go for it.

He didn't go anywhere but managed to break a couple tail feathers.

He turns out to be a 19 lb Tom, 3/4" spurs and a 9" beard. The fourth act and conclusion of this show was well worth the effort.

All I have to say is sometimes it's better to be lucky rather than skilled laugh

Good work Rick!! What pressure, right???

Okay team, in case your wondering if I'm sloughing off this morn -I'm waiting for the refrig guy to fix my 11/2 yr old that went goofy Sun nite.

Heres my Tues a.m. story- Watch 5 jakes march single file along a draw, in the woods, they go into a big patch of prickly ash. After sometime they come out where the woods forms an L on the field edge where I have 2 decoys. I'm in the woods 10' sitting on the ground. I'm watching for a tom knowing they like to bring up the backside if its all clear. 3 jakes break for the dekes-but the other 2 turn and come toward me. Like schoolboys nudging each other, you go first etc, they keep slowly coming, heads bobbing. They are 5' away !! Standing there, talk about rapid eye movement!! I don't even blink sucking this all in. The waddles looked so soft like velvet covered with those incredible fine feathers. I never moved, they finally turned and all left. I guess I passed the Sittin Still Test!!! And it was 5' I measured later!! Awesome

Well.....how's it been going?

It's a blast having those birds get so close.... smile