• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trolling line suggestion?

cbrooks

Do most of you guys perfer mono for trolling or do you stick with superline and how tight do you set your drag? Do you set it super tight so it sets the hook instantly? Right now I use powerpro and I set the drag pretty tight. You have to give it a good yank to pull out line. Any suggestions?Thanks.

I used to troll with fast action graphite rods and 50 pound mono. It worked fine, but tying a knot with 50 lb mono in 30 degree weather is a challenge. The "give" was in the line. The rod had a fast load up and little give.

Next I switched to mod-fast rods with mono. Between the slower "load up" in the rod, and the stretch of the mono there was too much give.

I've settled on medium heavy power 8 footers with moderate fast action and 80 pound superbraid. The slower load up with the no stretch superbraid is the perfect combination.

Set the drag tight enough that it takes a hard rip to pull it... If you're trolling rocks and get snagged, you'll be alright, assuming you have good rod holders. The snug drag will result in fewer missed fish.

Paul.

Kind of what Paul said. Choose your line based on the rods you're using. I run fiberglass rods and found that mono with these rods didn't work well as there was too much stretch. I switched to 80# TUFF XP and have been fine.

Mono really shines when you're shortlining and/or want to keep the bait high in the water column.

mono for me. with the correct hybrid of course. st. croix rods' e-glass is my favorite. no problems with hook ups and i think mono has got a better vibration, and because i believe that, it gives me confidence. what else do i need?

We use our Shimano Compres. 8' heavy and 8'XH, Garcia 7000, 80 lb braid, they all work fine. PP, courtland, Stren, Stealth, ect. Like brian said, back the drag off just enough so teh bait doesn't pull line and throw the rod in a good sturdy rod holder and wait.

We only troll when we need to relax and eat lunch or when we know that fish are suspending in open water and we know where they are.

mono for me. with the correct hybrid of course. st. croix rods' e-glass is my favorite. no problems with hook ups and i think mono has got a better vibration, and because i believe that, it gives me confidence. what else do i need?

When your using mono, do you ever break it??? Which pound test do you use??? I was kind of thinking to switch for something new. How long does the line last??? Do you get all those little circles in the line if you dont use it for awhile?? Im thinking if I have a 50 some inch fish on the line I would wanna have some power pro or something on instead. Sorry for all the quick questions!!!

i use Trilene XT, basicly built for river's with abration resistance. 30 lb. test, i back my drag off very little but a fish can still take line if it wants. break? not in a loooooong time. really i could use 20 lb. but the added girth of thirty adds to abration resistance not to mention i don't want to play a fish to death. i play them till i see there's not going to be a major boatside rukus but not till they're belly up, i think they get less injured and to date i've never had one not swim away, and all were in good health. the line lasts as long as it's still smooth without nicks. but i never go more than a season. as far as a 50 breaking off... 100-150 lb. tarpon are landed on 20 lb mono all the time, and other huge saltwater fish. line memmory is a given with mono but with trolling it really doesn't matter. any line company that claims limited memmory in my experience is blowing a lot of hot air. XT has high memmory BTW. i spool it on a Shimano Tekota 600LC and a 8' St Croix E-glass. only one heavy set up right now but who knows what the future may bring. maybe i'll sudenly want to troll more grin

side note... when trolling, especially with super lines, it's a good idea to use locking rod holders and affix a lanyard to the holder just in case it breaks. i just lanyard mine to my cleats.