• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help buying outboard!

Far-I

I guess i am stoking myself up for a 4 stroke 20hp tiller for my 14 ft boat. I started looking at hondas and yamahas. I think i prefer electric start as i've never had that luxury. i noticed some cheaper nissan models on the internet. a lot of places offer "free" shipping with their price. I have yet to check my local place down the street, as i would love to give them the business but money is a real factor.

I would love to buy something made in america, but these fourstokes are what i really want. does anyone have any advice or knowledge or reviews of any 20hp 4stroke models. if people reccomend nissan that seems the cheapest model. otherwise if a honda is worth the extra dough...thanks visa!

I'd check out an E-Tec. Not sure they make a 20 horse though. they are quieter, more economical, less things to go wrong, lighter, faster, and less harmful to the environment (for those who are into that).

I think the smallest e-tech is a 25. They are 2 strokes though. One thing to keep in mind is the service after the sale. Are you going to get the same service if you order it online than you would from the dealer down the street?

The 25 horse Yamaha 4 stroke is a awesome motor. My buddy runs one and man is it smooth and quiet.

The Honda is also a nice 4 stroke and Im hearing more good things about the Suzuki.

Find a local dealer with the best price on 1 of those 3 and buy there. As said above service after the sale is nice to have.

Nissan makes a great outboard, same as Tohatsu, we ran one on a herring skiff for several years with no problems other than the controls freezing up, which most brands will at 0 degrees on the lake. We finally did it in when we hit a rock in the bay running with over 5000# of fish, water and us in the boat during a storm. Bent the propshaft and vertical shaft really bad, would have fixed it but then found the downfall of Nissan. No parts or service anywhere near, including Canada, west coast had some dealers but parts were not in stock and way too expensive, more than another motor. Replaced it with a used 40hp 4stroke Yamaha, bought it off this site. Got a lot of use last Oct-Nov 2008, been very happy with it.

These e-tecs sound kind of cool. I noticed that the 20 hp hondas top out at 5500 rpm- that is the same as the 25hp e-tec. They seem environmentally and economically sound, however. Does anyone know what the difference in resale value would be between the new model 2 stroke and a four stroke. Seems like a 4 stroke might resell better due to increased marketing.

Kinda tough to buy an american made motor so I dont think I would whey my decision on that. I believe the best bang for the buck is the nissan tohatsu motor. I know a few people who have been running them for years and for price, reliability, and performance they are awesome. The suzuki and yamahas are good as well just a little more money.

Far-l,

If a 20 hp 4-stroke is what you want I would get a tohatsu. My buddy just got one last summer for his 16 foot lund and it is great. And as far as service on these motors, there are a couple of dealers that service them right around Ely (but he has had no issues so far). These motors are surprisingly inexpensive and with a 3 year warranty on them you can't beat it. He picked it up from a dealer in TN I believe for around $2300 with free shipping. Thats a brand new 20 hp 4-stroke!!

Do a search for them and you should find the place where he got it.

Cory

The Tohatsu sounds like a good deal for the price; the issue is still service in my opinion.

Using tohatsu's dealer finder, it looks like the only places in mn that are dealers are:

T & T Spirit Marine, Grand Rapids MN

Brainerd Sports & Marine LLC, Brainerd

Denny's Ton of Fun, Inc., Bena

Tabara Racing & Marine, Moose Lake MN

Matson Motors Inc., Ely MN

marine_man

I have a 60hp 4stoke suzuki on my 680 ranger. Bought a nissan 15hp 4 stroke for my 14ft. Nice and quite, my hole is about the same the old 2strokes. Idles alot smoother. Looked at merc's but I saved $600.00

IMO, any dealer could work on the motor. They would just need to get the parts someplace. I'm sure they would all welcome your money smile

I agree 100%, the only issue is if you need warranty work it has to be a tohatsu (and perhaps nissan) dealer.

After that you can go wherever you want; but only Tohatsu / Nissan Approved Dealers can submit warranty claims.

marine_man