Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gordie

bait for cool water channels?

17 posts in this topic

what do guys like to use for these cold watr cats.

I like to use dead suckers and crawlers. but think that I will try some of that good old stinky stuff this year.

I have never had any luck with stink bait. Stink bait is for the southern states that are warm. Try doing minced garlic and chicken liver. Put them in a ice cube tray place your favorite hook in with them then put them in the freezer. You could also first put them in panty hose. That way the stay together. In the summer let it stay in the sun for a week or so.

cut suckers have been good for me in the past. Never had any luck on that stink bait before. In the spring I down size my cut bait a little bit.

I know its to early for them but I like leppard frogs for channels. wish I had some now I might try and stuff frogs with garlic

Nothing beets crawler in cold, fast current for channels. 2, 3,4 or more if you can get them on. Stick with crawler right now and you will get channels wink

chicken livers- marinaded in anise, garlic and tuna or mackerel oil... then chunked up in tied in a little square of pantyhose (tie opposite corners like a little hobo sack)and kept in a bucket of the "marinade" and then hook lightly onto a largish thin wire circle hook.... this way the stinky, sloppy bait will put a good sized slick in the water, enough to stand out from the rest of the winter-killed gunk on the bottom and yet not fall apart on first cast.

Don't rule out crawlers this time of year with all the run off happening. You might out fish cutbait, since the ice has been gone for some time and the temps pretty stable. Because of that, not a lot of shad andbaitfish are dieing off or thawing for them to eat.

I am using garlic this year. I still remember someone dunking his cutbait in the garlic butter sauce that came with his delivered pizza. About 5 minutes later he had a channel on shore.

Orange jig with 2 0r 3 fatheads. Though this time of year where I fish them I think they will take anything when their in.

I use the a big ole bobber to keep away from the snags, way to rocky to fish off bottom without a snag, on the bottom.

Quote:
way to rocky to fish off bottom without a snag, on the bottom.

Best thing to do (IHF) in those area's is cast out and drop your rod right down to the holder or "Y" stick. No reel'in early, no pull'in! The fish will find it and pick it up. It lowers your snag-up per cast ratio big time wink

That is best. But when there stacked in this area we get more fish on shore as the bobber floats the bait by their noses. Plus its fun watching a huge bobber disappear in an instant.

Early bait of choice for me is Frozen river chubs from the year before. Or get some and freeze them for a few days before you go out..Freezing minnows makes the cells in the body expand and explode so when they slowly unthaw on your hook they release a ton more scent in the water and chubs seem to be of their choice over suckers or anything else I have tried.