Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
payed4

Training Pigeons

12 posts in this topic

Does anyone know where I could pick up some pigeons to start my young dog on? I live around the St. Cloud area.

If you have any pheasant farms close to you, they should be getting rid of their birds soon and probably could pick up some birds for cheap. just a thought.

If you're willing to drive about 4-5 hours southwest, I've got a farmer's bin full of them a mile and a half from my place grin

Used them to train a new shorthair pup last summer, and the guy was thrilled to have me take however many I could use.

Contact Berg Brothers they are right in St. Cloud. I don't know if they would sell birds but they might be able to point you in the right direction.

NWBuck if you are serious about cleaning them out shoot me an email at randalltmiller@msn.com. I would drive down and catch as many as possible.

What do you think tess can use all them up in one weekend or what, Ken.If you need just a few in st cloud Email me at blueriverkennel@gctel.com and I can bring a few down on my way to the trial this weekend. And if Randy does not want to go get those birds I will, or we can ride togeather and split the birds and the gas Randy. Hey I got River Steady

do you plant pigeons in a field to work on pointing? how well do they hold?

for my dogs I usually use a launcher, but if you get them dizzy they will hold but they wont flush/fly very well. so to prevent my dog from catching them I try to use a launcher at all times.

In my experience - the wild caught pigeons do fine with flushing when you dizzy them up. It's the wussy pen raised birds that have no flight muscles and just sit there like a dizzy bird after you plant them.

My Springer was AMAZED when he got on his first Pheasant and it actually RAN from him....

thanks guys, now i just have to catch some. any tips on slowing down wild GSP that dont like to listen very well?

Give me an email I can hook you up with someone.

mmi@hcinet.net