• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hay Creek in Goodhue County

gtfourmn

My understanding is that Hay Creek is quite a popular trout stream because of its proximity to the twin cities, so there should be a number of you guys in here that may be able to help me.

I am not totally new to trout fishing, and have done relatively okay for the most part on the White Water and its tributaries, but I want to find a stream closer to the twin cities, and thought – why not Hay Creek.

So last week, I went down to Hay Creek for the first time, and was able to hook up with a few tiny browns near the RV Park by Hay Creek Trail. My problem with Hay Creek is access. It seems like the whole stream is fenced in with barb wire fence, and in a few area electrical barb wire fence. Besides the fences, some roads (for example 310th ST) that run parallel with sections of the stream had signs that said “private drive” or something to that effect.

I ended up fishing a few small pools from the first bridge on Hay Creek Trail upstream to the end of the RV Park and downstream to the fence near a fallen tree. I also fished the stream section within the forested area with no success.

If anyone can help clarify the access on Hay Creek, that would be much appreciated. Also, can anyone verify that fishing is allowed near the RV Park, because there are some sheds that are located pretty close to the stream in that area.

Thanks

I am not certain about the spot you are talking about, but if you have both of your feet within the high water mark you are legal. You might want to check out the DNR HSOforum for some maps of the area. I know there is a lot of state forest land down around tht area.

don't be afraid to talk to land owners.... just because they have signs saying "private property" "no trespassing" doesn't mean they won't allow you to use their land if you ask them.. also if there is designated easement where there are no trespassing signs.. you have every right to fish that area..

there is one section of a stream i love fishing that is all easement that the land owner will totally try to yell at you about trespassing on his land... and i just tell him "call the DNR"... some people *rolleyes*