• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

coyotes

youngie22

So... I need to dig out the regs tonight and read them over but; wondering about taking a .22 or other rifle while turkey hunting w/ a archery tag. Lastnight I met w/ a farmer who gave me permission to hunt and asked if I could thin the coyote population as best I could. They are harrassing the young calfs and they don't want to lose any. Most of the time I will be w/ others this season, can they carry one if they don't have a tag. But What does the book say about this. I am guessing its like deer in MN; No Go. Let me know thanx

I am thinking it would be illegal. Hopefully someone chimes in that knows for sure. But I have on occasion had coyotes come check out my decoys. Then they are close enough for a round of #5's out of the shotgun.

I'm pretty sure in Minnesota that you have to decide what weapon to carry. I mean you can't even carry a sidearm while bowhunting bear. Why they relax that reg for turkey?

Nobody's going to tell you you can't fling arrows at 'em. cool

You are only allowed to be in possession of legal equipment for turkeys. That means nothing bigger than a #4 shot in your shotgun, no single projectiles (slugs, rifles) and only appropriate archery equipment. You can shoot a coyote with your shotgun or fling arrows but only in its turkey outfit.

Now, there is nothing illegal about hunting those coyotes outside of your turkey season, so even if you are turkey hunting for 5 days, that leaves 360 more days in the year to hunt coyotes with whatever weapon you feel most comfortable with.

Sounds like you made a friend.

22, turkey loads will take em ,i like remington 4x6 ,have had more than a few screw up a hunt! Take em whenever the opportunity presents itself, dont worry about spookin the turkeys.They wont be bothered ,usually makes em gobble! If ya nail one make sure ya show youre host, youll be in good graces for along time!

I think my first initial thoughts were right, Only can bring a bow on my archery hunt. Grandpa was really hoping to be able to take a gun while he sat a called for me. We will just have to target coyotes there at other times than Turkey and deer season. Yes Gary would be very happy to see any and all of these be gone. Thanx for the heads up guys, may there be gobblers all around you this season!

I don't know why Grampa couldn't sit next to you with a gun. Don't think there's any law against that. As long as you don't handle it you should be good.

This is yet another gray area. Even if Grandpa is only calling for youngie22 but decides to carry a gun for coyotes, he would need to be a licensed turkey hunter and the gun he's carrying must be legal caliber/shot size for turkey.

This is stated on page 3 of the green booklet under ASSISTING.

Wow, the DNR really does have a lot of Loop holes/gray areas which make it questionable, and could leave you wondering whether you would get a ticket or not if a CO stopped you. Just read about a bill thats being proposed to elimintate the DNR, Soil water conservation, and Pollution control agency, and replace them with one organization. That would be quite interesting.

I agree ac777.

With recent discussions here on FM, it has me thinking of a few things that could be done. I'm playing hookie today so I have plenty of time to ponder my thoughts.

If not handled properly, the proposed bill would be disastrous for Minnesota's natural resources.

I figured you guys would like to hear the response I recieved today in an email from CO of the area I will be hunting in.

the first part is what CO Tyler Quandt replied to my email that I sent which is below that.

Yes you can carry a gun with you while you are hunting turkeys with a bow. You can hunt them with either and are allowed to have both at the same time if you wish. Good luck.

Hi Tyler- I have a question for you regarding coyotes & Spring Turkey Archery Season . While talking w/ a farmer I received permission from in Goodhue county; he told me to take along a .22 or another gun to help take care of the coyotes that are harassing his calf's. My question is am I allowed to do this?

I know I can't carry a side arm during archery deer season, so I am assuming the same rules apply. My grandpa was interested in sitting with me a few days, and thought he might carry a weapon in case a coyote showed himself. Thank you for your time- Jason

So there we all go!

Hold on there Youngie22. Don't think for a second that it would be legal to carry a .22 with you while turkey hunting.

Read what Tyler actually stated. You can hunt with either a bow or gun and may carry both with you. With that being said, you now have to understand there are legal guns and shot sizes to use for turkey hunting. Everything you need to know about what is legal for turkey hunting is stated on page 3 of the green booklet that you should have received in the mail.

Tyler's response was somewhat vague and I may give him a call to make sure he gets back to you to clear this up.

Please understand the reasoning behind not allowing rifles in the field while turkey hunting. Even a .22LR will carry too much down range energy. Also note that a 22LR can carry for up to 1 1/2 miles. In the event a .22 bullet would hit someone it will have lethal power at far greater distances than a shotgun loaded with legal shot size for turkeys.

It simply is not worth the ticket you'd receive for being illegally armed during a turkey season.

I did send a follow up response. I know I wanted this clear before I go in the woods. I have his phone # and will call if my date comes up and I am still not sure. That is why I contacted hom since he would be the person to right the ticket. I have already printed out our emails we have exchanged, so that will be with me. I'll try to keep you guys in the loop of what I find out

Not to butt into your situation here youngie, but I made a call to the CO as well to make sure that he wasn't misunderstood. Like I said, I don't want to see you getting a ticket for a misunderstanding.

I don't think the CO got the point that you are hunting with an "Archery tag". I'm assuming you are meaning the OTC archery ONLY tag that does not require being drawn in the lottery.

It would be 100% illegal for you, hunting turkey with an archery only tag, to bring in the woods with you, ANY type of firearm.

If you had a lottery or lottery surplus turkey tag that would allow you to harvest a turkey with either a shotgun or a bow, you would be leagal to bring a shotgun leagal for turkey hunting AND your bow. Said shotgun could only contain shot #4 or smaller and meet the other legal requriements for turkey hunting.

Your CO gave a response thinking you had a general lottery or surplus turkey tag, not an archery only tag. Also remember that CO's don't always understand the laws perfectly either.

Lep, not to be picky but your point about .22s in the turkey woods is fairly moot. I'm not sure if you were touching on why rifles weren't legal for turkey hunting or why rifles aren't in the field in general during turkey season. They are allowed in the field during turkey seasons as leagal firearms for coyote hunting. During a turkey hunt there could be 15 other guys in the woods with 22-250s, 223s, 25-06s or whatever, legally hunting coyotes. Regardless of the species, firearm, or season, you just being sure of where you projectile may go after the shot is paramount. Plenty of injuries attributable to shotguns in turkey season.

Youngie himself may not carry a 22 while "he" is turkey hunting which was the first question he asked. Then it switched to Gramps or someone else carrying.

If Gramps is coming with and "NOT" assisting in the turkey hunt (calling, carrying gear) he may carry a gun to shoot coyotes. This is obviously up for interpretation by an investigating CO (Tyler in this case). If Gramps was to carry a decoy or a pocket full of calls, it would be up to the CO to decide whether or not Gramps is assisting. If Youngie were to hold onto the rifle while Gramps were to climb out of a blind, again it would be up to the CO to determine if Youngie is in possession of an illegal firearm for the hunt.

There's just too many gray areas that could get a guy in trouble even though there was no intent to break any laws.

Youngie, it sounds as though your just looking for some quality time with Gramps and afforidng him the opportunity to take a predator out of the area. I talked to Tyler a little while ago and he sounds like a pretty even-keel guy. Truly representative of the CO's I've worked with in my area.

Good Luck to you and Gramps on your outings.

You got it perfect lep7mm. Tyler and I got everything clarified between ourselves. No person hunting or assisting in a turkey hunt w/ an otc archery tag may have a firearm in possesion. Thanx for all input from you guys. We will definetly set a date to do some predator hunting outside of the archery season.

He did mention that your Grandpa could sit with you if "he" was in possession of a 22, but he couldn't assist you in any way.

Glad to see you got it ironed out. Good luck this spring.