• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Double spine?

So I got a couple of blanks (see "Building rods for the kids"...)

When I roll them they have a double hop, directly across from each other - which would tell me there are two spines.

So now what? - These are going to be spinning rods.

Should I put the guides in between the two (more sensitivity but less backbone - correct?) or along one of the spines (more backbone but less sensitivity).

I'm thinking along one of the spines since they are already light action...

Build on the straighest axis. I do find the spine on blanks, but the obsession on the spine is over rated. I have read tested by more than just a couple people that say building on the straightest axis has much more impact on the rod than the spine.

Note added:

Just be sure that on a spinning rod the guides on the opposite side where the blank wants to curve up.

Building on the straightest axis is the way to go. If the spine happens to align with the starightest axis great, if not, no big deal. I think what up north was trying to say is that if there is a curve, put the guides on the bottom of the curve.

Typically, you'll find what you describe as two spines. But one will be more distinct. That's the true spine.

That being said, I agree with the previous replies. Straightest axis is the way to go. Plus, if you build on the spine and it doesn't follow the straightest axis, the guides won't "look" right.

I use the straightest axis method myself. The only time I make use of the spine is on multipiece rod blanks. Often the butt sections are very straight so I'll find the spine of the sections to assemble them (align spine to spine) and then use the overall straightest axis to build on. That is not a hard and fast rule, just a place to start from. I alway glue on a tip top and put the guides on (masking tape) and test cast before building to make sure I'm happy with it.

If you put the blank in vblocks or something similar and spin it you will see some sort a wobble in the tip on almost blanks. The straigthtest axis is where the wobble will be up and down. If I am building a spinning rod I put the guides opposite where the blank has a tendency to turn up a little.