Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Da Beak

Shack / Airjer??

21 posts in this topic

I've got a 99 Crown Vic. Is there any way to shut off the daytime running lights? I put Silver Star headlights in, and I'd like to get as much life out of them as possible.

Do the DRL's run off the high beams or the low beams or are they the same bulb?

Never mind they are the same bulb. They can be turned off by applying the parking brake but then you jeopardize two safety features the DRL's themselves and the brake warning indicator which could let you know if the fluid is low or if there is another issue!!!

Made some calls and it sounds like bring it into the dealer and using the WDS is the only option.

Check the VIN tag in the drivers door jam and see if it says Canada any where on it or a maple leaf printed into the back ground of the numbers. If so, call a Ford dealer and see if any recalls/TBS are open for deactivation of the DRL system. If not, make a call to ford 1-800 customer service line and talk to them about getting them deactivated.

Ford did have a recall in the late 90's and early 00's for Canadian vehicles brought across the border having the DRL's deactivated. Something about US DOT illumination standards exceeded.

I did some quick digging and this will give you an idea of the recall 00S14. Ford gave out this recall every year for awhile, so you will be looking for something to the effect of 99S14 (not it though) for the Crown Vic if applicable:

Good luck!

Quote:
JUN 19, 2000 | Recall # 00S14

Recall Reason: EXTERIOR LIGHTING

Recall Date: JUN 19, 2000

Potential Units Affected: 20637

Recall Summary:

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MINI VANS, LIGHT PICKUP TRUCKS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES. OFF LEASE CANADIAN VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS WHICH MEET CANADIAN REQUIREMENTS AND NOT THE PHOTOMETRIC REQUIREMENTS OF FMVSS 108, "LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT." ACCORDING TO FORD, THE VEHICLES WERE IMPORTED INTO THE U.S. ERRONEOUSLY.

Consequence:

THE LIGHT GIVEN OFF FROM THE DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS IS BRIGHTER THAN ALLOWED BY U.S. STANDARDS.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL BE ADVISED TO DEACTIVATE THE RUNNING LIGHT FUNCTION AND TO COMPLETE ANY OUTSTANDING SAFETY RECALLS ON THESE VEHICLES.

Notes:

FORD MOTOR COMPANY 00S14

Because they where to bright?

Ya whistlegrin

Thanks Guys! As always the advice is much appreciated.

I guess I'll be calling Ford after all.

Beak

I am not shack or airjer, but I can give you my .02, all you will have to do is unplug the drl module and get a dummy plug, from the dealer, or from a junk yard from a car without drl and plug it into the drl connector

You do need to use the dummy plug though, you cant just leave it unplugged.

That is what I was thinking also, but I called a couple Ford garages (one service advisor and another trans tech.) and they said that this one was not that easy. They also sounded unsure though and I was not able to have them check with a seasoned light line guy who would have done this to a 99. I have never done it on a Crown Vuc before and I am sure 4WE has smile

I still think if the plug cost's anything above a couple bucks, a call to Ford customer service might get you the part and install for free wink (if it was from Canada).

Good luck!

Yup, it's Canadian Shack. So they'll do this for free you say?

I can not say for a 100% "yes", but I know they have for other owners who wanted the factory DRL system from Canada deactivated. All you could do was tell them to call the dealer or Ford's customer service with the VIN and milage and see what happens.

It is worth a shot.

Good luck!

As for the recall, this car was not part of the campaign. As far as I know, Ford has only paid for the ones that was part of the recall 00s14, and the recall was for 96-98 Windstars, f150's, Navigators, Explorer, and Expedition's due to the lights were to bright. None of the other models had the issue of the lights being to bright, there for were not covered. The recall had you do what I said of disconnecting the DRL module and installing the dummy plug part # FOFZ-14489-A

Yep, not being on Oasis, 00S14 is the only one I could find on-line. I could swear there was more recalls which covered other years?

Never hurts to call wink. I know a couple years back they where helping out with deactvation of the DRL system on Canadian built vehicles. I remeber a Contour getting help some years back and it was not under a P05, P07 or any other program wink

Why this recall was ever started, I do not know? What is the diffrence of just running your headlights during the day?

I think it had to do with the DRL's being as bright as the headlights which would make people forget to turn on the headlights which would turn on the tailights, maybe?

I believe it exceeded limits USA had for brightness back then, but I believe the limits were changed.

I think personally I would leave the DRL hooked up, the extra time being illuminated isnt going to effect the life expectancy of the bulb enough to actually worry about it to much. JMO though

Quote:
I think personally I would leave the DRL hooked up, the extra time being illuminated isnt going to effect the life expectancy of the bulb enough to actually worry about it to much. JMO though

Good point.

Another thought, you get in an accident because someone didn't see you, and it will cost way more than any savings on light bulbs.