• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Battery Charger question

Luck e 1

Question

I am looking for a portable charger for my boat battery (12v big size deep cycle).

Guys have recommended the Minn Kota (10 amp) and the Ship N Shore (15, 10, 2 amp) for their reasonable price and performance.

The MK doesn't let you choose the amp setting, but the SNS does. Is this a big deal?

The MK has a maintain setting so it is always ready to go, but I don't think the SNS does.

The SNS has a setting (i think) that tells you the amount of charge in your battery...MK does not.

Any thoughts on these two units

5 answers to this question

More amps will charge a battery faster. If you're dealing with smaller batteries like motorcycle batteries or flasher/camera batteries for ice fishing you would want to use a smaller charger, like a 1-2 amp.

An automatic charger or battery maintainer is really important, with it you can connect to your batteries and forget about them. They always stay charged and they won't overcharge. Without that feature you need to remove the charger from your batteries or you'll overcharge them ...... and if you remove it too soon you won't have them fully charged.

I have the SNS and really like it. You just set the charge rate based on what you are charging. Deep cycle vs. car vs. ATV etc. They recommend different charge rates to protect the battery and prolong its life.

You can see the charge rate, and what the % of charge is on the battery. I like this feature as I can just hook something up and it'll tell me if it needs to be charged, and how much. I can also gauge the time it'll take to charge it up. But I guess it could be personal preference too. If the battery is really low, it will charge very quickly up to a certain point, then slow the charge down for the last 10-15% until it is fully charge. Totally self-regulated, just plug it in and leave it.

The battery maintainer is important. I left the cabin once last year, not to return for a week. I realized on the way home that I had left the charger on the boat without unplugging it. Got there the next week and everything was great. The battery was fully charged and the charger had switched to "maintain" mode. The unit has a fan so it self cools too. I was relieved to know that the unit will compensate for my failing memory smile

I don't have any experience with any others, I can only express my full satisfaction with the SNS.