Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pascooter94

chatter baits

11 posts in this topic

dont have much luck with them, how,when were,and colors?

I have a few colors white, black, green-white, and use them where I would cast a spinnerbait and all types of cover.

what im i doning wrong? thanks.

Well, I use them quite often and in the same type of way. Typically wherever I'd throw a spinner bait or a swim jig, I throw a chatterbait instead. Not all the time, but a large majority anyways, though I have to say that I use chatterbaits quite a bit over the top of very shallow weeds. If I've only got 1' or less of running room before I'm getting caught up then thats where I think they are perfect. Another great thing to remember is that they rip through weeds like no other. Give a quick yank and you'll pop all those weeds right off. Honestly, half of my bites probably come when I rip out of the weeds.

As for colors, 99% of the time I'm using a White/Red skirt with a White Bleeding Boogie Tail from Yum. Actually, if you go to my picture gallery and look under my 2008 Bass pictures for the fish in my avatar you'll see the exact lure I'm talking about. wink Occasionally late in the evenings I'll switch to black or black/blue, but I'm rarely still throwing a chatterbait that late anyways (I love my topwater).

Not really sure what to tell ya about why you're not having much luck with them. I've found it to be a great multipurpose bait, cause it keeps at a nice consistent depth in the water column once you start reeling, and you can also jig the thing off the bottom if you want as well. I caught 4 pike and a couple bass within about an hour (biggest pike was 34" too) with one just jigging it over a shallow sand ledge drop off. If you give it nice quick tugs it'll give a few vibrations and then wobble to the bottom again. Just something else to try out!

Good luck

I like the green pumkin with a gold blade, at least thats what I have the most confidence in. Gonna try them with different trailers this year. They simply catch fish. Try them up in the shallows this spring around old lillies and stuff and you'll for sure catch fish!

thanks, I will try it, what type of line do you use? myself im use in braid in the weeds but use a mono leader,on a 7-1 gear reel and very how i bring it back.

and for trailers used all types but not pork thats one im going to try also. thanks for your imput.

I dont like them. Not because they dont, which by the way ive never caught anything on one, but because they are cheap. I have three of them and the paint came off all of them. They also stoped working correctly. They dont move through the water vabrating like they should. they only worked right for the first day of usage. I am sure they catch fish, but never had a working one long enough to do so.

Well, I have to toss in here, that not all brands are created equal when it comes to these baits. I've tried I think 4 brands and also a friends homemade version, and NONE of them run the same. I hate to say it, but I quit trying other brands a while back (should look into it again since there are so many out there) but I've stuck with the original Chatterbait as far as consistency and quality. My friend's homemade version would be my 2nd choice sadly. Alot of the others are just thrown together, but I think the perfect shape of that jig head (not the chatter part) really makes a difference in how those thing swim.

I can't comment on the paint part, cuase I've never had a chatterbait peel like that. I use the gold and silver plated ones almost exclusively. I'm sure they come in other colors now, but I've found my fav.

I throw chatter-baits as often as I throw spinner-baits. They are a good tool to have in the box. Most of the time I will throw white/Chart. or bluegill colors.

I tend to favor a swim jig to a chatterbait.

That being said, if the lake I am fishing has a lot of 12-13 inch bass and hammerhandle pike, the Chatterbait with a powerbait beast will out produce anything else in the box.

I have yet to find them a "big fish" bait.

I used them quite a bit last year with great success. My fishing partner, on the other hand, doesn't like them at all and had very limited luck with them. I think it's a confidence thing for him. My largest fish last year came on one in mid-October...a beautiful 22.5" and had to be pushing 7lbs.

I have caught a lot of fish on them, but the majority of them have been pike. I've only gotten a handful of bass. They are pike magnets.

I just got into using these last year. I have tried severel brands and I like most of them. They do seem to attract a lot of pike but I have gotten a lot of bass on them. My favorite colors are white, red/whit, red, and black/red. I mostly used them casting over and through cabbage weed.