• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shortening blank

I have used both very fine bladed hacksaw or a sharp file. File works better.

Be aware that shortening a blank will affect it's action. If you shorten, no matter from which end you will make it a slower action blank. If you cut the tip it will be less sensitive and stiffer.

I would really think about it before you cut.

Don't cut from the tip if you can help it. It will dramatically increase the amount of pressure required to flex the blank. As far as cutting goes, a Dremel tool works well with a cutting disc, as do coping/ jewelers saws. I have shortened a few blanks using both of the afore mentioned tools with good results. Shortening a rod form the butt end is a far better option than form the tip in my experiences.

Cutting a little off the tip (1/4 " only) takes out the "mushy" feel. If the action is too light. Doing this to a HSR 9000 works wonders.

The guys in Fridley do this on some Walleye rods .

Just another option.