Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mmeyer

I would be a little nervous!

20 posts in this topic

I think if the tree outside my house was full of these, I might be just a little nervous!

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=548.jpg

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=547.jpg

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=546.jpg

The grime reaper can't be to far behind grin This is not the time to play dead grin

That is a cool pic and it looks like they must be on the move north as well.

Turkey vultures.. lots of them in the St.Croix river valley up this way.. they aint cute, thats for sure.

They look cool when they are catching some warm air currents.

They sure do look cool. I was on my way home and saw 6 of them floating above the river so I stopped to watch for a little while. They were all landing in a tree across the river so I went home and got my camera and my son and went to find them. I found about 11 of them sitting in 2 trees in one yard. My son, who's 7 says, "yeah that can't be good"!

Yikes! I haven't seen any yet. But I just saw the 1993 Pulitzer prize winning photo by Kevin Carter of a tiny little girl trying to crawl to a feeding area in Sudan during the famine. A vulture is sitting behind her on the ground--waiting. Your son is right--that can't be good. Of all the Pulitzer Prize winners, this is the one that just stunned me.

They might not be the prettiest bird but they sure are interesting.

I found about 11 of them sitting in 2 trees in one yard. My son, who's 7 says, "yeah that can't be good"!

Mike, that's classic! smilesmile

That picture reminds me of William Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying," with the vultures circling over the farm and foreshadowing the death of Addie. I remember reading it for a high school English class and thinking, "what a miserable, morbid book." I wouldn't wish that book on anyone, but it is apparently a rite of passage (or maybe teachers really are just mean and want to see students suffer grin)

That picture reminds me of William Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying," with the vultures circling over the farm and foreshadowing the death of Addie. I remember reading it for a high school English class and thinking, "what a miserable, morbid book." I wouldn't wish that book on anyone, but it is apparently a rite of passage (or maybe teachers really are just mean and want to see students suffer grin)

I forgot about the vultures. Loved your comments. My daughters friend in college called it "As I Die Reading."

You didn't happen to notice if any of them had tags in their wings, did you?

No i couldn't see them that well in the trees. I dind;t realize they were tagging them.

Saskatchewan is doing a study and so is APHIS's Wildlife Research Division.

I am not very well versed in the studies but I think both are basically just to evaluate movements of the vultures.

Yep, this reminds me of catfishing on the hottest day of the summer a couple years ago. It must have been 100+ degrees & we were really feeling it after 7-8 hours. I knew it was time to bail when the turkey vultures started circling overhead! It was was so funny because the timing was perfect.