• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marin Radio Antenna

311Hemi

Looked at 8' VHS antennas at Gander a few days ago and noticed they have 3 different ones, all at different price points. The only different I could see was one was stainless steel for around $120, and the other two were not the same material but were close in price....I think $50 and $70. Any idea on the difference in these....maybe they come with a mount and thats what the stainless is referring to? The high priced one is on closeout so I was thinking about just getting that....but not sure if it's any better than the others.

The kid there had no idea what the difference was.

I only know enough about vhf antennas to be dangerous (ie. the illusion of knowledge grin) so take this for what it's worth, but ....

There's different quality materials used inside the antennas, for the wires that actually pick up the vhf signals, and for the connectors that transmit it to the coax cable. And also for the mounting connectors, plastic or chrome or stainless or brass. Some of it affects the quality of the reception and transmission, some of it affects the quality and durability and longevity of the antenna.

Also, antennas have different gain measurements. A more expensive antenna might have a gain of 6 whereas a cheaper one would have a gain of 3. The higher the gain the better and more clear your reception and transmission will be.

I can't elaborate on it any more than that.

Don't go cheap on an antenna, as stated earlier there are a lot of differences on the inside that shine and glitter on the outside dont show. A Shakespeare model 5202 is the best value for the dollar, it will probably last longer than you will own the boat. The only better is Shakespeare's Galaxy line which has a better coating on the fiberglass, it will hold up alot longer if exposed to sun and weather all the time, as in a boat that is stored in the water. The best radio made is useless without a quality antenna. The white nylon, (not plastic) mounts will work fine unless you regularly run around at 60-70 mph with the antenna up.

you have to watch the gain and the wattage. make sure you are buying antenna that can handle the wattage your using. also get a 5/8 wave antenna because you will have more gain than an 1/4 antenna. if you have any questions send me an e-mail at [email protected]

p.s. I am a ham radio operator I know antennas.

Thanks for the info guys. I ended up with a Shakespeare Galaxy 5225 XT. If anyone is looking for one the Blaine Gander has them on close out and had a couple left. I got mine for $67 which from what I am finding is a heck of a deal!