• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Filling Lower Unit

titelines

Well, it'll soon be time to get the boat ready for the water and I had a question.

When I winterized last Fall, I determined that it would be difficult to refill the lower unit with oil due to the angle of the motor, depth of the fill hole etc. I experimented with a couple different things, but the oil just ran down the sides, not really getting into the motor.

What do you guys do to refill the lower unit? Is there an oil pump of some sort that can snake it's way into the hole?

Thanks!

You can do it 2 ways. Get a couple of tubes of lower unit grease, cut a tip off just enough so it will fit in the hole at the bottom of the lower unit, and squeeze the tube till the grease comes out the top hole then put the plug in the top hole before you take the tube out of the bottom. Take the tube out of the bottom hole, and put plug in it. This is the messy way to do it.

You can get a lower unit oil pump for very little money at mills. make sure you get the right adappter that fits in the bottom hole of your motor. When you have that in start pumping the oil in till it comes out the top hole. Put the top plug in first with out taking the pump out the take pump out and plug it.

Get the pump. So much easier. I was suprised last year that there was not a standard thread size for bottom filler hole. Had to get a Yamaha adapter to get it to fit my new outboard.

Also pick up some spare gaskets for the plugs. I replace mine every other year. It's just cheap insurance to minimize water intrusion.

Sometimes you can get lucky and find the pump with the two adapters included. I already had the pump so when I was picking up oil at the Yamaha dealer I got a connector while I was there.