• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Preemergent Weed Control Question

snatcher20

So I use one of the lawn services to fertilize and what not. Last year they always called before coming. Yesterday they did not call (and that's another story)and laid a preemergent weed control for crabgrass. The issue, I needed to do some significant seeding this spring. The area in question is spread out damage from the dog playing ball over the winter. Do I have any chance of getting grass seed to germinate this spring? Can I haul in black dirt? Any suggestions or thoughts?

I think you just pointed out one of the major problems with the squirt boys. That pre-emergent isn't going to do much good in part because it's getting washed away today and more importantly there won't be any seeds germinating until the soil gets 55+ degrees - maybe late April?? I surely wouldn't pay for what they did.

I think you just pointed out one of the major problems with the squirt boys. That pre-emergent isn't going to do much good in part because it's getting washed away today and more importantly there won't be any seeds germinating until the soil gets 55+ degrees - maybe late April?? I surely wouldn't pay for what they did.

Cancel service immediately.

We're no where near appication time yet.

The ground temps are barely 40 degrees.

I'd personally send them a letter that you did not authorize service, that you had other plans, and that you were going to contact the Minnesota Department of Agriculture and report unauthorized applications.

That's just me.

I can't stand it when companies don't bother contacting a customer, it creates a bad name for everyone. It takes all of 2 minutes to make contact and make sure that the customer is on board with the plans.

These "contract in effect indefinately, until writen notice" lines of [PoorWordUsage] are there so the business thinks that once they're on your property, you won't get rid of them, not so you "don't forget".

I'm not calling out any posters here, but this is another reason that the "squirt boys" as Tom said, have created the stigma that others here have expressed as well.

As for your question about seeding, in a way, it's okay they did it now. By the time 6 weeks is up, you'll have perfect weather for germination of grass. You'll have small pockets of residual, but for the most part the chemical is wore out.

You wouldn't happen to be dealing with a large national chain with the color of grass in the name, would you?

I've seen them apply pre-emergent on grass that still had snowbanks.

Originally Posted By: Tom7227

Cancel service immediately.

We're no where near appication time yet.

The ground temps are barely 40 degrees.

I'd personally send them a letter that you did not authorize service, that you had other plans, and that you were going to contact the Minnesota Department of Agriculture and report unauthorized applications.

That's just me.

I can't stand it when companies don't bother contacting a customer, it creates a bad name for everyone. It takes all of 2 minutes to make contact and make sure that the customer is on board with the plans.

These "contract in effect indefinately, until writen notice" lines of [PoorWordUsage] are there so the business thinks that once they're on your property, you won't get rid of them, not so you "don't forget".

I'm not calling out any posters here, but this is another reason that the "squirt boys" as Tom said, have created the stigma that others here have expressed as well.

As for your quetion about seeding, in a way, it's okay they did it now. By the time 6 weeks is up, you'll have perfect weather for germination of grass. You'll have small pockets of residual, but for the most part the chemical is wore out.

You wouldn't happen to be dealing with a large national chain with the color of grass in the name, would you?

I've seen them apply pre-emergent on grass that still had snowbanks.

Before going too nuts verify they had the correct address. My buddy received a free treatment in spring once because the driver stopped at the wrong house. They are human and have been exposed to chemicals routinely smile

Before going too nuts verify they had the correct address. My buddy received a free treatment in spring once because the driver stopped at the wrong house. They are human and have been exposed to chemicals routinely smile

All the more reason to call them out on it.

How deep were you planning on topdressing the area?

What I would do is call the company back and ask for a copy of the label of the product applied as well as the rate it was applied at.

This way, you can see on the label how soon you can re-seed without the residual.

If you can get a response from the company on product and rate, either you or I'll look up the label and can go forward from there.

Most likely what they were doing was applying at 1/2 rate, to catch the areas along sidewalks, driveways and curblines, and then in about 4 weeks come back and do another application of pre-emergent.

It's how it's got to be done for people that sign up on a 6-7 application program when we're here in MN. At most you'll need 5, most likely 4, and can get by with 3 with quality material applied at the right rates.

I'm glad I read this post! I have been going back and forth trying decide if I want "The people with the color of grass in their name" to come out again this year to apply the chems, but the more I read, the less I want them to.

Last summer the d-bag entered my back yard while my two labs were out there and did his thing! I immediately called the main office. The lady who answered assured me that my dogs were safe, but if ferts are safe to dogs, why all the warnings about keeping kids and pets off?????? Not to mention that my older lab is getting up there in age and he's becoming a little more territorial. For the guy to walk in my yard past a 90lb dog barking his fool head off...well, that takes some jewels, if you know what I mean.

I've been hearing more and more stories like mine and the one above and I'm just a little uncomfortable giving these guys free reign to my yard. What's next...are they going to fire up the hot tub and go for a dip??

The MAIN reason there are warnings about keeping kids and pets off is because the gov't requires it. The companies certainly don't do it voluntarily. Its an added expense.

I would agree with the lady that everyone was safe, depending on the chemical, that being said, the serviceman expressed extremely poor judgement and deserved to get fired.

Originally Posted By: lots of luck

All the more reason to call them out on it.

Just cause we've been exposed to chem's doesn't make us stupid. grin I can show you data that says you come across way worse things in your everyday life than weed and feed's. I wouldn't drink it for a bet, but when properly applied the risks are practically none.

Any company worth their salt will make contact calls unless the customer says its not required, but I still liked to leave a phone message.

Your form that says they came should have the applicators name and/or applicators license number on it and the chemical they used and at what mix rates. Required by state law.

I thought there was even a law saying no applications before April 1st to protect the homeowner. Anyway, you were right to get rid of that company. I would also avoid the "splash and dash" company mentioned.

Lwnmwn-

Thanks for the help. Best I can tell, here is what they put down. 13-0-5, 36 lb of dry granular material.

13- Total Nitrogen

0- Available phosphoric acid

5- Soluble Potash

Fertilizer source

Urea, potassium chloride

4 lb per 1000sq. ft.

My yard they have listed as 9600 sq. ft.

This is all foreign to me. Any help is once again, greatly appreciated.

I'm a DIY sort of guy and wonder what the squirt guns charged you in the past to take care of things. I have about the same sq. feet and I think I spend less than a total of $80 for 3 applications last year. I have a decent spreader and get the stuff at the local feed mill. It take less than an hour to go and buy the stuff and put it down and I get what I want, where I want it, and when I think it needs to be done. I'm just curious to know. And then I maybe can use that 'savings' to convince the Mrs. that I have the $$$ for a new toy or two.

I think it was around $400 for the squirt guy. That's 6 applications I think.

I too prefer to do it myself, but the year I did it myself, I missed some applications and the yard did suffer. Whether or not you agree with the squirt guys, I looked at it as a convience fee and the yard did get some of the things it needed.

But now that I cancelled the service, I'm back to maintaining it myself. I do like your thinking of the saved $$ should equal new toys!!

That's the same product I'll be using this year.

The guys were doing you somewhat of a favor by using a low Nitrogen in the spring, to cut down on some of the top growth so you wouldn't be mowing as often.

The large national brands in the box stores are pushing 30 for the Nitrogen.

If you want to have a convenience fee, if you hire another company, you really don't need more than 4 applications, unless they're putting down a grub control, which some companies do automatically, but if you don't have any grubs, they're just putting more chemicals in your ground that shouldn't be there.

A typical decent fertilizer, applied at full rate, with a decent slow release will last 6-8 weeks. Do the math, that's 24-32 weeks with just 4 applications.

We don't get ground temps for grass to grow until May 1, generally speaking, and by October 15th, we're slowing way way down.

That's roughly 22-24 weeks, +/-.

If they're putting down full rates of fertilizer, every 4-5 weeks, you'd be mowing 2-3 times per week.

Anyways, if they're using the product that I think they are, then you should be okay by mid - late May. You may still have some small pockets of residual, but you won't be able to tell if it's from the pre-emergent, or if it's from seed that just didn't germinate on its own.