• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Synthetic Oils

I am contemplating using synthetic oils in my 97 F150. I have always taken it into the dealer and am curious if switching to synthetics will do anything negatively to it? I have read elsewhere on the internet that sometimes it will reveal leaks in your gaskets because it absorbs more of the contaminates and cleans better. I also have seen that it can increase hp and increase fuel economy? I guess I am just on the fence at this point and am trying to decide if it's worth the investment or just stick with the status quo.

It might give you some leaks as you said. As I understand it, synthetic oil acts like a detergent and could give you problems with seals. I'm sure others know more about it than I do, but I wouldn't think this risk is worth the small gains you'd get. If dino oil has worked for you thus far, I'd stick with it.

I use Mobil 1 in my truck and car, but have done so since they were broken in. This was Group IV when I started in 2002, but is now a Group III blend since Katrina hit their processing. I may see a very small gain in mpg, but very little. I doubt I get any extra HP from it. I saw a bigger jump in fuel economy by switching other gear lubes over to synthetic (tranny, differentials, and transfer case).

I know people that have switched at hi milages and had no problems at all, in fact it reduced there oil consumption. But I am also sure there are people out there that have had problems so who know? I like synthetics because of the longer change intervals and cold weather starting. I run 0-30 in my truck. 30 below 3 cranks and she is off and running.

How many miles and which engine? How often have you kept it serviced? I assume you are talking about the engine oil. (Ford started using synthetic differential oils in 1997 in all full size trucks.)

AMSOIL will clean gum and varnish out in an engine, and if that is what is holding tired seals together it will reveal a leak (It won't damage a seal, but it may clean to the point that it might start leaking.) Also if carbon is causing your rings to hang up and not operate and seal freely it will clean carbon then allow the rings to seal better and reduce oil consumption. I have personally seen both many times.

There was a similar thread last week about a GM small block V8 with over 200,000 miles, I recommended don't change.

I have seen some engines that have been really abused with less than 50,000 miles that changing would be a mistake and others at well over 100,000 that did great with changing.

AMSOIL will increase fuel economy 3% to 5%, typically full size trucks will increase 1/2 to 1 mpg, some more.

It is a 4.6L V8 with 125K miles on it. I have the dealer work on it most often as recycling/changing oil on my own is an inconvenience at times so they peek at it every 3,500 miles-4,000 miles. The guy that owned it before also took great care of it. I found this out when being towed one night outside of Detroit Lakes when musky fishing and my alternator failed. Believe it or not, the tow truck driver actually knew the previous owner and couldn't believe the truck was on the side of the road. Small world. So based off that and all the paperwork he left in the dash, you knew it was his baby.

I was going to start a new topic, but this seemed to cover most of my questions. I am thinking of switching my '04 Silverado with a 5.3 to synthetic after hearing a lot of good things. It just turned 50K. Any recommendations for or against?

Also, if I do switch over, do I need to do anything special before doing so?

And any recommendations on brands for oil and filters?

Im all for amsoil. ran it in my '00 silverado, and now in my '07 Impala. when i put it in my silverado which had 75,000 miles on it at the time i used the engine flush product they make, and ran that through before putting the oil in. I started my impala off new with it, so no cleaner required.

Use their oil filter and air filter as well for optimal performance. In the long run you will save hundreds of dollars over conventional petroleum oil and will be doing your engine a favor.