• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Homemade coating for walleye

Having my folks over for a walleye fry tonight and I just realized I am out of shore lunch.

Whats a good homemade batter I can whip up, I think I've got all of the basics at home. Thanks!!!

We use a mix of cornflake crumbs and corn meal, 2/3 cornflake crumbs to 1/3 corn meal. You can also go 3/4 to 1/4 depending on how you like the breading. We also fry everything in lard. Potatos and fish have and entirly better taste in lard.

I like to use Panko crumbs (after dipping in a light egg and water wash) but not allot of people are like me and have Panko crumbs in the cupboard at all times. I think a real good seconds choice is saltine crumbs as stated above. The trick it grind them up fine enough of it just gets clumpy and you do not get a good even costing. This is all the boys use when we go to Lac Suel.

1/3 corn meal, 1/3 saltines, 1/3 spicy taco Doritos. Chop to very small pieces/powder. Dip the filet in flour, then an eagg wash then the chopped up crunchy stuff. Pan fry.

Winkelman mix is outstanding if you like cripy deep fried fish.

With the health kick going. OK, MY weight going up, ive been doing a lot more baking of my fish. Spray fillet with " i cant believe its not butter" and then sprinkle on garlic salt and cayanne pepper and bake for 15 min. If you like fish with a little kick, you will love this simple recipe.

After years of experimenting, this is the only way I do it now.

1. Dredge in seasoned flour (Season salt, garlic powder & pepper). Shake off excess.

2. Dip in Egg Wash

3. Dredge in (my order of preference depending on what I have on hand)

A: Panko (very nice crunch)

B: Seasoned Bread Crumbs

C: Unseasoned Bread Crumbs

D: Crushed Saltines

Fry in enough Canola or Veg Oil to cover half of fillet. When the fish is lightly browned on each side, its done. With hot oil it shouldn't take more than a couple minutes per side, depending on the size of the fillet. Nothing worse than overcooked fish, especially if they are freshly caught fillets.