• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Soft Bait Scents

NTW

I have a lot of plastic baits that aren't brand name and some that have sat around for more than one season. I don't like to throw any baits away but am not too sure about their chances of success. I have considered buying a liquid scent to soak them in so that I will use them. Do any of you do that sort of thing or is it better to just throw them out and buy new ones?

"I squirt liquid scent into the bags holding my plastic bait's. I think it works quite well."

I have fished with others who do that too but the ziplock bags they used would rip and leave a mess.

I know that the baits will still draw strikes but I think that in a negative feeding period and all around, scent improves chances. I don't want to miss opportunity.

If your worried about your baits going bad... I wouldnt worry about it. Feel free to ship all your "bad" baits to me. My dad has some worms in his tackle box that have to be pushing 40 years old.. I would have no problem tieing one on my line.

I used to make my own mixture of vasoline, real craw and salt.. and mixed that with my worms.. now I am too lazy. I just fish it.

I agree with Deitz. Although I am by no means a pro like many of you guys - I do quite a bit of bass fishing - and the scent, in my opinion, helps me not miss so many pick ups - since the bass tend to hold on a lot longer.

There have been times when I've been yammering away with my fishing partner when I see my line move across the water - I've actually just held it - put pressure on it - and they wouldn't drop Powerbaits, or scented things like that. So for me - use the plastics - they will work - even if they are old.

And by all means, squirt on some scent - because I think it helps them hang on longer.

Besides, if it gives you confidence, you will use the bait more effectively....

I have 15-20 year old power bait I still use. My dad has boxes full of worms he used to get direct from the factory down in Iowa in the early 90's when power bait was first made. The worms are still as greasy and smelly as the day they were made, and work great.

I have 15-20 year old power bait I still use. My dad has boxes full of worms he used to get direct from the factory down in Iowa in the early 90's when power bait was first made. The worms are still as greasy and smelly as the day they were made, and work great.

Plus - they are probably tougher - their mix was much hardier back then - you could use a worm a lot longer when Powerbaits were first out.

I have added a few drops of attractant to plastics that weren't scented. Just a few drops can go along ways with plastics. Most of what i now buy have it built into them wether they be power baits,chompers,or others.

i agree with deitz - i got powerbait from the mid 1990s that still works great. Come to think of it, it still smells some too. But not as much as the new stuff.

Strikes are reactionary, scent/feel is just gonna make em hold on longer. If you don't have confidence in it, use them for trailers or presentations in which detecting the bite is not an issue

I got to thinking of a story when when I was younger.. my dad always believed in scent a ton... I told him it was more how someone "worked" a lure.. we now call it presentation, but whatever.. anyway, we made a bet.. He got to use scent, I had to dip my worm in the gas tank.. Not all that eco nice, but then again, this was back in the 80's, I was young and dumb.. I also caught a bass on the very same cast...

presentation is far more important than scent.. can a good scent hurt you.. no. does it help you all that much.. in my opinion, not a ton. But thats just me. I also think people get all hyped in oil based scents which fish can not smell. If its not water based or can be disolved in water, they cant smell it.

That's a good point dietz. I mostly use it because I believe that the fish will sometimes hold the bait a little longer. I totally agree that I don't think you will get more bites if you use it. I think of it as one of those things that you can do to increase your odds, so why not! smile

I think for many, scent is a confidence boost. Which in my opinion is the most important thing. Someone who is confident will fish harder, will feel bites better, and set the hook quicker, than someone who doesnt have confidence in the bait they are throwing.

I have a goofy article on confidence and fishing back in my archives if anyone is interested.