• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Battery Charger suggestions?

Luck e 1

Ok guys...your help has been great on the thrust, the battery selection...now I need some advice on which battery charger for my 12v battery for my kota endura 55lb.

I would like to stay below $70 if possible.

Thanks guys

Does it matter more about the amps that it uses? or is it more important to have one that has multiple amp charge capabilities?

The minn kota doesn't allow you to change the amp charge from a 10 to a 2 (or trickle)...does this really matter?

The more amps you have the faster it will charge. The 5 amp chargers will take about 6-10 hours to fully charge your battery depending on how low it is. In most cases this is plenty of time for most. They are also made to not overcharge or overheat, which means it automatically switches to being a maintainer. I have a minn kota and its great. You plug it in and thats it, nothing to switch or change.

I would throw my .02 in and suggest the on-board charger. Although they are a little pricier, they are more durable, charge and maintain your batteries more than a portable charger can do. When you invest good money into your batteries, why not spend a few more pennies and get a charger that will allow you to get a little extra out of your batteries? The other plus, you'll never forget your charger, just make sure you always have a spare extension cord in the truck!

I have a Ship-N-Shore charger that has worked really well for me. It has a 2, 10 and 15 amp charge rate, so I use it for the car, ATV, boat etc. It also has a battery tester and a read-out that tells you the % of charge on a battery. They are right around your price range too. Very good unit for me so far. Just search for Ship-N-Shore and you'll find lots of 'em.

On-board chargers are the way to go when you have multiple batteries in your boat. But if you just have 1 battery then there's not as much reason for an on-board charger .... in fact you may be better off with a portable charger because then you don't have to find a spot to permanently mount it in your boat. As long as you get an automatic charger you can leave it on your batteries and not have to worry about unplugging it or turning it off.

I agree on the idea of a portable charger if you only have one battery. Not to totally hijack this thread, but what would be the most affordable 2-bank onboard changer, yet still something that is relatively dependable?

I would say the pro mariner pro sport 8. It is 8 amps with 2 banks for 100 bucks at gander mtn. I just recently looked at getting this one and have read good reviews on it. I ended up getting the minn kota MK 210 because I got a good deal on closeout for 110 at sportmans warehouse. They sell bigger and better ones for more money, just depends on your needs.

Not to totally hijack this thread, but what would be the most affordable 2-bank onboard changer, yet still something that is relatively dependable?

Battery chargers are a perfect example of "you get what you pay for". Quality determines price, and another factor is how many amps the charger(s) put out.

Dual Pro is always my first recommendation, they are outstanding chargers, very reliable, and what I have in my boat. The Recreation Series is their most affordable charger, at 6 amps per bank.

Minn Kota makes an excellent charger too that is becoming more and more popular all the time. And years ago Guest didn't have a great reputation but they have really improved ---- over the last 7-8 years there really hasn't been any bad reports on them. I used Guest chargers with no complaints for a few years. Guest has some of the lowest price chargers, their Model 2611A is 2 banks and 10 amps for $110.

On-Board Chargers

So.. when you say 2 banks and 10 amps, that means it puts out only 5 amps per bank... right? I really was looking for something that puts out 8-10 amps per bank. And, from the sounds of it, I would likely be looking at spending $150-200 for a quality onboard unit with that output. In which case I think I will stick to my two standard 10 amp Schumaker units... one of which is over 10 years old... they work just fine...