• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

10 Fish Bag on Gogebic

Quote:
My mistake, I didn't realize it was 50. Vook brought this up to me about dropping it to 10 and I think it is a great idea. I just hope the DNR do also. No set date on the meeting yet Ken, but if you can get them in within the next couple weeks it would be great.

Thought you guys might be interested in this:

gogebicyep.jpg

This is the result from the most recent creel on Gogebic, March-May 2005-2006. The fisheries survey summary went on to say that only 10.9% of the yellow perch harvest was during the ice fishing season, thus closing the late winter sport fishery will not protect the perch population. I don't have a dog in this fight, so I really don't care what happens, but enacting this regulation really won't have much affect. It's like Gus told me, mother nature is regulating this fishery. You aren't ever going to come across a 50 fish day, it mimics a limited entry system since you need a sled to fish it so fishing pressure isn't overwhelming, and the competing forage base means these fish aren't going to go on too many major feeding binges and be vulnerable to high rates of harvest. If you think it's the right thing to do socially, by all means go ahead. But I'll tell you now MI DNR is going to have their reasons to keep it as it is.

I say do it not only because it is my home lake but I would hate to see that lake picked clean. There is no reason to have a limit of 50 on a lake that produces that kind of quality fish. Think about it that would be like keeping 50 10 to 12 inch eyes. I dont %100 agree with Gus says that the lake will regulate it's self. Back in the late 90's you could catch 50 of those pigs/day. Was it common, no, did it happen yes. If you arnt happy with 10 fish between 10 and 15 inches well I guess you are out of my league. I do like the slot option also. Lets say you keep 10 fish maybe there should be a law that only 2 can be over 13. I know it will be a tough fight but if we dont do it nobody will. Then it will live up to it's name of the dead sea.

Being an "outsider" there is a lot I do not know.

I did talk with Gus about proposing new limits.

It sounds like the perch really get hammered during the open water season.

I think it definately is a good idea to get a process going to properly determine what the lake can sustain.

I can see a 10 perch daily limit with a 20 or 25 perch possession limit.

On a side note. Iowa just implemented panfish limits this winter after previously having none. The DNR even had press releases saying the that there was no Boilogy behind the limits it was just what the people wanted that caused them to implement the change. If I remember correctly the number of people effected by the limit was even smaller than the 7.6% than the number in the example that DaChise gave.

Quote:
My mistake, I didn't realize it was 50. Vook brought this up to me about dropping it to 10 and I think it is a great idea. I just hope the DNR do also. No set date on the meeting yet Ken, but if you can get them in within the next couple weeks it would be great.

Thought you guys might be interested in this:

gogebicyep.jpg

This is the result from the most recent creel on Gogebic, March-May 2005-2006. The fisheries survey summary went on to say that only 10.9% of the yellow perch harvest was during the ice fishing season, thus closing the late winter sport fishery will not protect the perch population. I don't have a dog in this fight, so I really don't care what happens, but enacting this regulation really won't have much affect. It's like Gus told me, mother nature is regulating this fishery. You aren't ever going to come across a 50 fish day, it mimics a limited entry system since you need a sled to fish it so fishing pressure isn't overwhelming, and the competing forage base means these fish aren't going to go on too many major feeding binges and be vulnerable to high rates of harvest. If you think it's the right thing to do socially, by all means go ahead. But I'll tell you now MI DNR is going to have their reasons to keep it as it is.

Interesting find chise! I can remember (not to well) about 10 years ago where I bet I got 75/day for a couple days straight.. I didn't, of course, keep 150... I did not expect those results that you found as I did not think that alot of people fished perch after ice-out.

That said, there has to be some way to protect these fish... What about imposing a limit and slot together? W/the growing popularity of this fishery (for perch), we'll need to figure something out that'll be beneficial for all.

I agree that with these nice perch in the lake, one needs to make sure or at a minimum, do their best to try and protect the lake as much as possible.

With the perch that this lake puts out, it could get hurt by some fisherman that are not concerned about the lake but only concerned with filling a cooler.

I really enjoyed fishing this lake this past winter with both Perchking and Vook and I'm sure I will return next ice season.

I just found out from my boss that her brother is head of the Fisheries Biology Dept. at Lake Superior State University... I emailed him regarding this issue for his input and have also put a call in to the MI DNR. They (DNR) told me that they would have someone contact me shortly to discuss the issue.

I will keep ya'll posted on what they tell me. smile

Hey all. Quick update on this: I did speak w/the fisheries biologist from LSSU and he put me in contact w/our "local" MDNR fisheries division manager.

He did tell me that this would be a "big fish to fry" for lack of a better term but he did say that I made some interesting points and that the concern is relevant.

I hope that as I attempt to escalate this concern, I will have the support of FM'ers with or without a dog in the fight!

Thanks!!!

I would support a 10 fish limit. I can name a number of lakes that have surcome to the pressure from overharvest. I would like to see this one have a fighting chance to surive. I will help in any way, Vook.

Well here's where this issue stands-

I spoke w/the DNR and they told me that they appreciate my (our) concerns and that "The upcoming winter creel census will help you, your fellow fishermen, and the Michigan DNR to work together to assess the angling harvest rate on Lake Gogebic. We do not dismiss your comments or concerns, and with the 2010 creel information we will be interested in working with the community on the perch and walleye fishery." Additionally they went on to say-

"We will be continuing to review the Gogebic perch fishery,

following the data that was collected during the 2005 lake

survey and creel census. Additionally, we will be

conducting another creel census at Gogebic this coming

winter to collect another winter season of sport-angling

harvest information. Currently the total

annual exploitation rate of yellow perch due to sport

harvest (including the late winter ice fishery) is around

15%."

The problem I see here is that the number of fishermen that fish LG for perch has grown exponentially over the 5 year span between surverys. Let's wait and see what they find out!

Thanks

Thanks for doing the leg work on this Vook. I consider a 2.0 lb perch a trophy just like a 30 inch walleye. I do think on most lakes that rarity of getting one is about equal, except when you are fishing LG. I don't see a need in keeping a 1.5lb perch or bigger for eating, just like I don't see a need for keeping a 25+ inch eye for eating, those are are future for us anglers.

Ok enough of that, get those clubs shinned up we have a golf tourney to win this weekend:)

I hear that the DNR met w/some people in Wakefield the other day to discuss LG. I'm not too sure as to what was said about the perch limit, if anything, but I will try to find that info out.