• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beer of the Summer.....

As far as cheap beer goes, do you guys ever drink Hauenstein? According to my Dad, it used to be the Busch Light of the early 60s. Now Schell's brews it in longneck returnable bottles, you can only get it around the New Ulm/Mankato area. But it's cheap and really good. The only problem is that the next day, you know you drank it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pfeiffers was 3 cases of bottles for 9.99 back in the 70's. Brewed on W 7th at Schmidt Brewery. Here is a little bit of history for you.

In 1884, Jacob moved back to St. Paul and purchased a half interest in the North Star Brewery located at Commercial St. & Hudson Rd. Jacob retired in 1899, turning over the operation to his daughter and son-in-law. The following year the brewery burned to the ground and a new location was immediately found: the old Stahlmann Brewery (built in 1855 as the Cave Brewery), located on West 7th St. In 1901, the brewery was incorporated as the Jacob Schmidt Brewing Company and a new plant and malt house were erected next to the existing structures.

The company continued to do business under the Schmidt name until 1955, when it was purchased by the Pfeiffer Brewing Co. of Detroit, Michigan. The new owners retained the popular Schmidt label and continued to produce beer under that name untill G. Heilemann Brewing Co. of LaCrosse, Wisconsin, bought the brewery in 1972. In October of 1991, the Minnesota Brewing Company moved into the old Schmidt Brewery building and brewed beers such as Landmark, Pig's Eye (named after St.Paul's Founding Father), and McMahon's Genuine Irish Potato Ale. The new owners also bought the rights to the Grain Belt label from Heileman. The Company joined a movement towards producing fuels from grains by opening Gopher State Ethanol on the site. In 2002 the brewery operations were closed, and the Grain Belt recipe and labels were sold to the Schell Brewery in New Ulm. A little while later the ethanol plant also closed.

Neighbor_Guy, I bet I'm the only other guy on FM that knows where your sign-off quote came from-- gotta love MST 3K!

I carefully assessed the potential consequences of my actions and... I did it anyways. wink (not 100% about that one)

What can I say, it's a classic, and very very few people have any idea where it is from. But one of my personal favorites.

Back on topic... as easy as can beer goes down, it has to be cheap.

A lot of what has been mentioned here bring back a lot of memories. If I would have recycled half of the Busch light cans I have stacked in my day, I would have a lot more guns.... cry Hard to think summer with weather like this cry

if we're talking cheap swill, our official college beer of summer is mich golden light.

but i gotta go with a nice crisp lager such as a Helles. Or maybe a hefewiezen, although i don't like wheat beers much

While I'm sticking with my Schlitz, I haven't seen anyone mention a 30-pack of Schmidt's. It's always got a season-appropriate picture of a trout, a deer, or some other kind of animal on the can.

Not as tempting to the eye as a Lakemaid though!

As far as cheap beer goes, do you guys ever drink Hauenstein? According to my Dad, it used to be the Busch Light of the early 60s. Now Schell's brews it in longneck returnable bottles, you can only get it around the New Ulm/Mankato area. But it's cheap and really good. The only problem is that the next day, you know you drank it.

Hauenstien is no longer cheap or in returnables, the bottle washer as Schell's brewry could not keep up with the demand for Schells, Haueny and Grainbelt and all are now throw aways. That said it is still good!

Ice cold Grainbelt on a hot summer day, thats really all one needs in life.

KTapper, have you seen Beer 30's slogan? "We don't try to be good, we try to be not bad"

Have to agree with Mid-Lake-Rock. Bell's Hopslam is probably the best of the best; with regards to best cheaply made beer: Try Weinhardts Boar Ale. Had it when I lived in Wash. State. I think you will agree that for a few bucks less, not to bad.

Pfeiffers was 3 cases of bottles for 9.99 back in the 70's. Brewed on W 7th at Schmidt Brewery. Here is a little bit of history for you.

In 1884, Jacob moved back to St. Paul and purchased a half interest in the North Star Brewery located at Commercial St. & Hudson Rd. Jacob retired in 1899, turning over the operation to his daughter and son-in-law. The following year the brewery burned to the ground and a new location was immediately found: the old Stahlmann Brewery (built in 1855 as the Cave Brewery), located on West 7th St. In 1901, the brewery was incorporated as the Jacob Schmidt Brewing Company and a new plant and malt house were erected next to the existing structures.

The company continued to do business under the Schmidt name until 1955, when it was purchased by the Pfeiffer Brewing Co. of Detroit, Michigan. The new owners retained the popular Schmidt label and continued to produce beer under that name untill G. Heilemann Brewing Co. of LaCrosse, Wisconsin, bought the brewery in 1972. In October of 1991, the Minnesota Brewing Company moved into the old Schmidt Brewery building and brewed beers such as Landmark, Pig's Eye (named after St.Paul's Founding Father), and McMahon's Genuine Irish Potato Ale. The new owners also bought the rights to the Grain Belt label from Heileman. The Company joined a movement towards producing fuels from grains by opening Gopher State Ethanol on the site. In 2002 the brewery operations were closed, and the Grain Belt recipe and labels were sold to the Schell Brewery in New Ulm. A little while later the ethanol plant also closed.

And that was when my Dad was screwed out of his pension and forced into early retirement after 25 years of work. B@st@rd$

I can't believe no one has touched on the best beer in the can around... Leinie's Original! It's not too spendy and has that "taste" like the first beer you ever drank. It's got the "burn" like an ice cold Dr. Pepper! Good stuff!

Summit EPA is my other go to!

Busch Light!! "When the day is done and your ready for some fun head for the busches!!!!" That was are slogan of younger years. Has multiple meanings.....

Now we are talking and when it goes back on sale for $10.97 again I hope I am buying a pallets worth!!!!!!!!!!