Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Larson15

st. croix mojo bass

42 posts in this topic

I just picked up a 7' med/hvy fast act. with a abu garci revo S and a 6'9 med/lite x-fast act. with a pfleuger president for drop shotting. Does anyone have any experience or input on these rods? I ordered them online and got them the other day. Compared to my st. croix triumphs they feel kinda heavy. Sort of debating if I should return them or try them out.

I have looked at them and have mixed feelings. I am looking for a swimbait rod and after picking the MOJO version up, don't think that is the answer. It is a beast. Kind of liked the 7-6 MH though.

I have two, they don't compare to my legend elites or avids but i dont think they are bad rods. I picked up a 7" heavy for another frog rod and a 6'6 mh.

Paul,

I'll send ya a slightly used Triumph and you send me the 7' MH Mojo??? I dont like the feel of the triumphs, so I'm getting rid of it. I've heard good things from a few folks that have the mojo's. Let us know what your thoughts are on them.

Greg

I think I at least want to try these out. I will let you know once I hit the water with them.

I'm waiting on a 69MLXF from St. Croix. I'm hoping it turns out to be a decent rod as I wouldn't mind getting a couple other ones. $90 is a good price for technique specific rods.

I thought the casting rods were a little tip heavy, but I did pick up a 7'mf spinning rod for skipping. I took it down to a patch of open water and it feels and performs well.

i picked up the 7ft heavy frog 7-6 med heavy pitchin 7ft crankin i like all of them the frog rod i teamed with pflueger patriarch 7.1:1 7-6 i put summit in same gear ratio crankin has a trion 5.2:1. cant wait to get out in the boat with them.

I got a chance to use the 7'6" flippin stick down in texas a couple weeks ago and i thought it performed very well. It pulled the fish out of the trees with ease. The only thing i had to do was get a balancing kit and now the rod feels great, its amazing how balancing rods will make them feel much lighter.

I was thinking of getting a balancing kit for my 7'MH. What kit did you end up going with or does anyone have any reccomendations

You shouldn't need a balancer for a 7' rod. Typically 7-6 or longer you would want to consider one for.

i wonder, with the economy in the crapper, if other top brand rod makers will offer $100 or less options.

The strong majority of rod manufactures all have rods for under $100 besides GLoomis. St. Croix has The Triumph, Premier, and mojo bass for all under or around $100

If you can find the Diawa Mike "Ike" rods some of them are very nice at a good price. And don't forget the Shimano Compre. (Now Deitz won't yell at me.)

come on olski, those people that know me, know I am all about fun.. If I yell its only because someone isnt having a good time.. LOL

there are a ton of great rods on the market.. And I have to admit Shimano is only one of them.. but I will say that shimano does have the best warranty program out there.

I cant rip on Ike as he does run the best boat out there.. LOL--Go BassCat! ( I also forgive him from catching a 12 lb bass and then puking on the side of his puma ) I'd have done the same thing!

I'm looking to spend around $100 on a spining rod for fishing plastics. I was thinking about going with a St. Croix Premier, but could be swayed. Most of the rods I own now are cheaper Guide Series rods from Gander.

This would be more of an all purpose plastics rod. Any recommendations?

I 6'6" med for an all purpose spinning rod. I think the length is a good compromise, and the power is a nice middle ground for light finesse and medium sized jigs.

What brand/model would you recommend Tonka? Should I go with the St. Croix? From what I've seen, there aren't a whole lot of $100 options from the higher end rods (St.Croix, G Loomis, Fenwick)

Honestly, I use a 6'6" M Shimano Compre very often and like it a lot. Like Dietz has mentioned before, the warranty is the best one the market. Lifetime, over-the-counter on a less than $100 rod that fishes like its $150. If you do go with a St.Croix spinning rod I would highly recommend that you spend the extra $ and bump up to the Avid series; there is a night and day difference compared to their other models.

I picked up a St. Croix ultra light for panfishing at Sportsman's for $70 (20% off). I'll have to take a look at the Compre for my bass set up. Thanks!

Sorry to break away from the mojos but I was wondering if there is a noticeable difference between the compre and clarus? Is the compre worth the extra money?

short answer... yes. I like the feel of the compre better. The clarus isn't a bad rod either, but I like the compre better because it is lighter and more responsive.

Sorry to continue highjacking... I agree with tonka. however, I was pumped when we got the clarus rods in our store this year (last yr we didn't carry that model) because I think we are going to sell a ton of them! In my opinion it may be the best $70 rod on the market that I have personally seen