Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
onlydrakes4me

Prairie dog hunting

23 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good places to go shoot them in MN or SD thanks

yes sir I'd agree or any way side road in SD. Stop at a farm and ask the owner if they would care if you went on their property and blasted dogs. I guarantee they will be more then happy to let you kill as many as you can get a round into

Anyone ever see the video when they get the vaccum truck to remove the dog's I can't remeber where or when I saw it but it was a sewer vaccum truck they mounted a camera into and use it to suck the dogs out of their hole laughed till I almost wet myself.

I have some friends that go to Winner, SD every year to hunt them. I haven't gone but they seem to have a great time, lots of dogs.

Ha sorry man I'm just really excited. This is my first gun and I have never even gone hunting once (besides air rifle hunting, lol). My buddy and I found a WMA near Henderson that has small game hunting available plus there is a campsite right near the river across the street. If you ever want to camp out with us sometime for a hunting/fishing weekend let me know.

Catfishing at night for monster Flatheads and squirrel hunting during the day sounds like the perfect weekend.

Lets see here the one off of 19 on the right side or the one off of 169 on the left when heading south right side for you heading north tho. Don't even waste you time on the one off of 169 thats the pheasants forever plot. I hear ya on the gun deal. I have tried that spot and haven't had any luck crow, yote, and little buggers

Unless your talking about the turkey refuge off of 19 there. Haven't ever tried that spot before, but it seems like that one could be good for all sorts of four and two legged kriters. That one is down in the valley nice looking area.

There are quit a few places in southern Nebraska to shoot prairie dogs. It would a long drive from here, about 12-14 hours.

Favorite Dog guns.

-22 LR

-17 Rem Ar-15

-223 Ar-15

-7 mag

-458 win mag/ for when they charge.

-460 Weatherby/ for when they charge in a group.

I've never seen them charge but I have seen them fling their dead comrades with a trebuchet. A 12 gauge is handy when they do that.

Ha sorry man I'm just really excited. This is my first gun and I have never even gone hunting once (besides air rifle hunting, lol). My buddy and I found a WMA near Henderson that has small game hunting available plus there is a campsite right near the river across the street. If you ever want to camp out with us sometime for a hunting/fishing weekend let me know.

I go through the Henderson area quite often and I'm not aware of any WMA with a Campground across the street next to the river.

If you're talking about the park across the railroad tracks and next to the PV Elevator (Grain elevator), the area across the road is a Wildlife Sanctuary (Ney Environmental Center)and not open to public hunting. You'll have to go back to the top of the hill on HWY 19 to the north side of the road to find the WMA portion of the Ney EC.

Keep in mind that many WMA are closed to hunting of unprotected species such as Coyotes from March 1 until I think August.

Yep I know that theres a time restriction on some of them. As for the campsite one I think he's talking about the one just outside of Belle Plain, but now that I reread it maybe not. Minne which one are you talking about.

Ney WMA. I read the description of it on the DNR page I believe it was and it said there is a campsite with fishing available on the other side of the road.

There might be camping available at the Ney Center (not 100% certain on that) and the river is 1/2 mile away below the hill. The camping that I'm aware of is below the hill and across the road from the Sanctuary portion of the Ney Center.

From the park/campground that I'm thinking of, there is a turkey release site straight north on the gravel road that runs along the base of the hill. Is this the turkey area you're referring to?

The WMA across the road from the Ney Center runs down the hillside but stops at the road. The best way to find out is to look at a detailed map from the DNR that shows the actual boundries.

ya as you are coming down the hill there is a wooden sign that states that the area is a turkey grounds or something along them lines. Also on that dirty road yes.

We had our follow-up meeting for our turkey banquet and a couple of the guys who are more familiar with the area said part of that area is a state park that's open to public hunting. I guess it isn't very well marked.

Ya learn something new every day.