• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rod and reel suggestions

seaner

I am looking into getting a new musky rig. I need something that will handle the big double bladed bucktails.

Last season I used a 7.5 ft st croix with an abu c6300.

Any suggestions wouls be great. Thanks fellas

There are a lot of options out there. I would try to attend the musky expo this weekend because there are going to be a lot of good sticks there with a ton of good info.

I personally use Abu 7000s (Big Game) for the big blades. Not saying it is the best out there, but it will do the job. Also really like musky innovations 8' 6" Monster Heavy for the blades. This set up is a bulky set up and I'm probably one of very few people who like this rod and reel together. Different strokes for different folks. If you can make it to that show this weekend you will be able to see the products in person as well as getting one on one time with the experts.

I own a MI rod and only use it sparingly due to its weight. For big blades St Croix Sling Blade, G Loomis Steel, or the new Predator series from Thorn Bros are built expessly for big bucktails like the cowgirls.

Reels, I have been using a Shimano Curado 300 DSV but will be trying a new Revo Toro 60 with the 5:4 gears for them this season.

You'll get 100 opinions on this topic, try and get out and try what others have and get what feels best for you.

I just order a custom rod last week from kt professional for throwing big blades. I told him what I was gonna use this rod for and he recommended what length, blanks and other deminsion for the specs of the rod. I went with the st croix tourament legend blanks at a 9 foot length with a 2-6oz lurewt. For the reel I went back and forth the trindad,7000 abu garcia, and diawa saltist. I ended up ordering the new abu garcia revo toro 60-hs model. Last year I burn out my abu garcia record and wouldn't suggest that reel to anyone that wanted to fish DCG with it.I've heard of every other reel being burnt out on those blades except for the Shimano Trindad. That was the reel I was gonna get until I started hearing so much about the garcia Toro. We'll see what everybody thinks of these reels when the season comes around,can't wait.

I am rocking the new revo toro too , seems solid from first glance, but I will need to get out and throw a few hundred casts before I will know for sure. If you like the standard Abu style, maybe a 7000 is up your alley, just depends on what you want to put into it, you could do much better then all these options listed, but it will cost a bit more.

I am throwing a Revo Toro 61 5:4 this year. I am very excited to get it out in the open water. I did buy the extended 2 yr warrenty ($39, but I got 10% of the reel, so it balanced out) just in case it does not live up to all the hype.

What is the gear ratio of the 9000? The 7000 that I have has got a gear ratio of 4.1:1 and works awesome for the big blades. Haven't seen a reel that has a lower gear ratio than that.....interesting if it did though.

You'll get 100 opinions on this topic, try and get out and try what others have and get what feels best for you.

Esox is right... and it surprises me he's gonna give Abu another try with the Toro this year... I know I've GIVEN up on Abu... They just dont fit my fishing style as well as they did for few others... They just keep on blowing out on me... LOL

Fairly... it really breaks down to what you can afford, whether in short or long run... for me, its better that a reel lasts for a long run... providing you take excellent care of them...

Shimano Calcuttas and Trinidads are fairly the top-notch reels when it comes to musky fishing but they for sure will take a HUGE chunk out of your wallet... But then again, Daiwa Saltist, at half price of a Trinidad, seems to be reputable... and I've noticed more than several people switching over to Okuma Red Isis which is also half price of a Calcutta...

I know that I will be buying one Red Isis with Twin Paddle and one Red Isis with Power Handle along with Daiwa Saltist for the upcoming season... I probably will use Red Isis for slow-rolling the DB10s along with Topwaters, jerk/gliders, plastics... Saltist for BURNING the DB-10...

I used the Saltist from opener through the end of October including all the MMTT events burning big blade bucktails with a 8'6" Tica rod and didn't have any issues. I even started throwing topwaters and Dawgs with it because I liked it so much. It has the same line pickup as the Trinadad. But $140 for a rod and $180 reel it's tough to beat.

The Abu 7000c3 is a great all purpose reel as well. Can't burn blades like the Saltist and Trinidad, but great for slow rolling. I used it for topwaters and heavy lures like dawgs.

These are the only 2 reels I haven't had break down on me.

Brand new Daiwa Saltist, and st. croix legend for this guy. I am excited to see how Saltist performs for me this year.

Great combo I will be running the same one with the legend

8'6" sling blade rod.

After an hour playing with the Sling Blades, Loomis Steel and the Predator rod from Thornes. I went with the Predator in 9'. Felt the best balanced set up with the Toro on it and just felt good in my hands compaired to the other 2. Blanks are built by St Croix and I think they have a winner in this new series.