• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Channels and Bullheads

GottaGo

I know a lot of you guys on here fish a lot for flatheads and love their bullheads for bait, but I'm strictly a channel catman since they're the only kind of cat around where I live. All the bullhead talk going on lately got me wondering, does anybody use these for channels? Maybe using them as a cut bait? I use all sorts of different baits and normally find the fish not too picky, but if I could get some free bait that I could easily store at home, it might be worth trying it out something new.

I've caught a few nice channels on live bullies, but not to often and not my intent. Some guys really like to use cut bullhead. I myself haven't had the greatest luck using them as cut, but haven't used them as much either compared to cut shad, creek chub, or suckers.

Give 'em a shot.

I use bullheads for cut bait for channels all the time and have very good luck with them. Most of my big channel cats last year were all taken on cut bullhead. They are a very bloody fish and leave a good scent trail in the water. I catch a lot of small bullheads (4" to 5") and they make the best cut bait. Just take a scissors and cut off the head behind the gills and snip off the tail and you have a perfect piece of cut bait.

This beautiful St Croix channel cat was caught on 22 May 2008 at 8:00pm on cut bullhead. The thing was huge and looked like a big football when I got him in the boat - my personal best channel cat. So yes - cut bullhead makes great channel cat bait.

5-22Best.jpg

Ya I have to agree with Steve, I do love a good cut bully for channels. I tend to use the head as bait tho. I cut the haed off right behind the gill plates then proceed to stick the hook through the upper lip. This seems to hold tight, so tight that it may be hard to get off the hook at times. What more could you want from your bait smile Also you can use the tails for bait. I will feed the hook all the way through the tail. That way the kitties cant just sit and chew on the tail without chewing on the hook. Now for the bloodiest part of the fish. I will normally cut off the pictorial fins AKA spikes and the dorsal fin. That way the kitties dont get spiked in the top of the mouth. I know I should use this part of the fish more often. The stomach and guts leave a foul smell on everything and that goes for the water.

Good cattin guys

I've seen Steve's work and will vouch that they are effective and when cut up the way he does it, they hang on the hook very nicely. They still leave a nice gap in the hook, they are durable and yes, very bloody.