• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

8ft rod, or should have I just got the 7 footer?

I picked up a 8 ft musky rod... but the darn thing is just so long that I'm having doubts on my control, or whatever...

Anyone else use an 8ft pole when fishing, and what are some of the plus's and minus's in regards to fishing with one?

What length do you prefer, and why?

When would you use a 8 footer, as opposed to something shorter?

Some guy use 8 ft-9'6". Its depend on their preferences. Longer rod r better for fighting fish and easier at boatside, longer figure 8, no need to bend to do figure 8.. Personally I like 8 ft for bucktails, spinner, prop topwater 76 for glider, crank, wtd, again its up to everyone's preference. Some guy like 7 ft or shorter some don't. Its up to ya.. I would say keep your 8 ft n use it for bucktails till you get the feel of it n try use it for gliders, etc etc.

I don't know about everyone else, but most my rods are 7'6" and I can't wait to go up to 8', maybe even 8'6".

I like the longer rods because they allow you to take up more slack quicker, figure 8 deeper and steer your baits through weeds easier. You also get more variation in your lure's path by raising/lowering rod tip or going side to side, something I like as a trigger with prop baits.

Although, while some of my rods started at 7'6", accidents happen and 2 are about 7'2" or 7'3" now and I like those a little better. I feel I still have the nice length, but now can get a little more snap with jerkbaits and WTD. Anyone else experiment with this?

Zelmsdawg

I have one 8 footer that i use for big blades, 7-6 for topwaters and those are bought the only long ones I have. They are awesome for bucktails. For Jerkbaits I throw only 6-6 to 6-9 and nothing longer.

I really like the longer rods, 8 or 8'6" are great, but like a couple of the other guys i also have a 7 footer for jerkbaits. Even though setting the hook and fighting fish are harder with that rod, i feel like i can work the baits much better and easier with that rod.

just about all my rods are 8 feet up to 9 feet. For jerkbaits & WTD most people will go shorter, I use a seven foot six for them. The eight foot rod you have is a good starting point to see what you feel comfortable with.

Longer rods are very trendy right now for good reasons. I think you'll get use to it if you throw it enough. However as was said above, rod length like a lot of things in life should be a personal choice.

We all used to use the short rods back in the day, and they caught a lot of Muskies. If you

prefer a shorter rod, use one.

I think you will gradually get to like the longer rod, once you become familiar with it.

"Ace"

I think 8' is just about perfect for most applications. I think the actual action of the rod is more important to consider than anything else. As far as length goes, you are pretty much exactly where you want to be with that 8-footer...

Started off the 2007 season with 7'6, 7'2, and 7'2... decided to upgrade for 2008 to 9'0, 8'6, and 8'6... Never will go back to anything shorter than 8'6...

There are much more advantages to having long rods than short rods for me... comfort level's a notch or two above... figure 8's much easier... but thats just my opinion...

I started out with a "pool cue" 6 footer...heavy power, fast action. It worked fine, especially on jerk baits. The problem was, on hook ups, it felt like I was attached to the fish... A walleye on a six footer is one thing, a 'skie is another.

I tried 7's and 71/2's and finally settled on an 8 footer as my favorite. The length is great for casting and trolling, and it really shines when fighting a fish. It's also great for circling/figure-eighting, as it saves your back.

I'm looking forward to trying out an 8 1/2 footer this season.

Paul.

Keep your 8 footer until you are ready for a 9 footer.

I sure do not build many sticks anymore under 8-6. 8 footer have become short.

I will have a couple 9 footers to check out at the show.

Keith.......where is your booth? I'm looking for a 9' probably.