• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My minnesota snow goose.

Last wednesday I went driving around looking for ducks with my camera. Much to my suprise, I found this guy.

DSC_00281-1.jpg

The goose was on private land so I didn't think anything of it. I figured it was just cool seeing one out here. Although I always buy my permit just in case the opportunity ever presented itself.

Fast forward to the weekend. I again go looking for ducks with my camera. Finding alot of the water frozen I begin to wonder if that snow goose is still around and maybe on public land near where I spotted it Wednesday. I head that way and sure enough it is on public land! I head home to get my gear. It wasn't the easies sneak. Took about an hour to crawl up to it. But I ended up getting the goose.

DSC_00351-1.jpg

DSC_00371-3.jpg

That bird looks a little stiff!

I was waiting for someone to say that. After I shot the goose he folded on the ice. Problem was there was 20 yards of open water between ice and shore. Don't ask how I found out, but it was way to deep to walk across in waders. So back home I went. A buddy just got off work who is a big muskie fisherman. He grabbed one of his rods with a big lure on it. It only took about 5 casts and the goose was caught. Definately quite the story on this goose.

Great story to boot, I remember throwing rocks to get ducks to shore as a kid on calm ponds, like the muskie rod/bait theory, I wish someone would've called tip on ya, how would that call have sounded, "there's a couple of guys believe it or not casting for geese" no I'm serious, lol. smile

I love the shot of the hen mallard in the upper left of the first photo-Hiding out. I really didn't think you could legally shoot any bird in the Sanctuary! laugh

I have seen quite a few snows in the sanc in the past years and these are most likely the loner birds I see flying around.