• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you think about HP?

Bandit

I would agree that at least having a decent sized kicker gives a fall back plan if your main motor fails. I don't think I've ever seen an inland water hull with two main outboards, except for maybe rigs that go out on the great lakes.

How does that work for speed? I wouldn't think 2 50 horsepower motors would propel you as fast as a single 100 hp. I'm guessing with two you could run a higher pitch than with one, but still be short of the speed of a 100 hp.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure if two 50's = one 100. I suspect they will if you have the props right. I agree that a decent kicker is a good backup in the name of safety.

I think if you are justifying going from 150 HP to 200 HP in the name of safety you should go with twin motors of a lower rating. Twin motors would be much safer than one big one.

I do agree you do not want to be way underpowered. I am not sure the 80% rule is right. If that is the case there are a log of dangerous 14 foot boats with 10HP motors out there. I guess it depends on how you use the boat.