• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bacon!!! Bacon!!!..I smell Bacon!!!!!...

catflisher

Went out in my backyard for the last time today..Live on Big Marine...All I had left were a few minnows...Black waxies and frozen maggots...Thought I'd try little strips of bacon fat...I'd used them last summer, and they seemed to work as good as waxies and maggots, at least the couple times I'd used it....SUPRISE!!!!...I got some nice sunnies, and I watched the whole thing on the aqua-view...I could barely keep the strips from wriggling and undulating...I couldn't make it motionless!!...I hooked them like a regular plastic on a horizontal jig body...Tiny little ball jig head...Rat Finkie jig I think...threaded it on just like plastic with a little tail sticking out behind it..My Golly does that thing wiggle!!..I have never used a plastic bait that moved like that bacon strip!!...Plus the salty factor, which as we know, they impregnate into plastic baits...Also, bacon fat wants to float naturally, so that helps stimulate some of the action me thimks...And, I bet it takes on food coloring pretty well...I'll be experimenting...Just thought I'd share this..I thought it was kinda cool...P.S....I came in for a samich at 5 O'Clock...went back out in a half an hour and went through the ice were I had just come off..Got my socks wet...season over!!!!!

You know gang.....after posting this and thinking about it...I once went back years ago to this quarry that I used to fish, and all I had was bacon strips....20 yrs.ago.....I was fishing trees that were sticking out into deep water...Used to use small crawlers and such...Let them drift down into the tree tops...Bigggg gills...But...the day all I had was bacon....The biggest gills came up and bullied the smaller fish out of the way!!!!Of course, being the geniuos i am,I never tried it again till lately.,.Give it a shot and get back to me!!!!!

I think we are conditioned to use commercial products and we turn our heads up to the simple things that work. Sell! Sell! as they say.

Catflisher I will give bacon a try that is if these big box stores don't brain wash me and force me to forget. I swear they have subliminal messages going over their pa system because I cant get out of there without spending less than $100 for stuff I may use twice.

during summer bluegill fishing i keep any bacon scraps/fat leftover from breakfast and save them. i have similar results, its seems the oil emits a smell that drives the bulls crazy and makes them really agressive against the smaller gills in the area

Isn't that what they call Uncle Josh Bait-pork rine in a jar. Back before berkley came out the pork rine was king of all attractions and was left in the dust. I still think its an over looked product especially for catching huge largemouth and dogfish.

mr

Just tried using food coloring on the strips...Works like a charm...I got some " neon " food dye...McCormicks...Got a pretty good chartruese with the green...Really good deep red...Made me think bloodworm...And it floats, so if you used a small jig/fly, it would float off the bottom...way cool!!

You guys planned this because you knew I'd feel the need to go out immediately and try this, but all my ice fishing stuff is five hours south of here. jerk-baits!!!

lol seriously though, very nice tip, and I'll definitely be doing some research with my camera when open water comes.

Well I tried it last night, the blue gills did'nt want anything to do with the bacon they just wanted waxies but a couple little pirch were brave enough to give it a taste. Im sure I will give it another shot some day. In another thought I wonder how a strip would look on a lindy rig grin, mabey a crawler harness.